Sandie Choong Siew Shean Email:
I graduated with the degree in Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Serdang Malaysia in 2000, and completed Master’s of Veterinary Science in the field of theriogenology in 2002 from the same university.
First appointment was as the Veterinary Officer at Taiping Zoo, Taiping, Malaysia in June 2002. I Started at the Department of Wildlife and National Parks (DWNP), Peninsular Malaysia, in the mid of September 2004, and held the post of Veterinary Officer, later Senior Veterinary Officer at the Headquarters at Kuala Lumpur, and Melaka Zoo. Besides being responsible for management, veterinary care, herd health programme and nutrition of captive animals at the zoo and conservation centres under DWNP, I was also involved in rescue and translocation operations of displaced and injured wild animals in the field. Within that period, I was a visiting lecturer periodically for the Captive Animal Management course at Universiti Sarawak Malaysia, Kuching.
I joined the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universiti Malaysia Kelantan, as academic staff in August 2011. Courses undertaken were on principals of veterinary medicine and clinical practices.
School Research Theme:
Population Health and Welfare
Comparative Transcriptomics: Links with Reproduction
Summary of Research:
This research will investigate the molecular function of adipose tissue as a regulator of fertility in a range of animal species including the cow, pig (Large White and Meishan) and African elephant. A comparative transcriptomic study of adipose tissue will be conducted followed by comparison of these to existing bovine (Hereford, beef steer) reference adipose datasets. These experiments will enable the molecular comparison of adipose tissue from beef and dairy cows, commercial European pigs versus Asian breeds, also advance our understanding of the adipose tissue of an endangered species. Collectively this will be the most comprehensive comparative analysis of adipose tissue function conducted to date. qRT-PCR will be conducted on target genes of interest identified from the sequencing results to verify findings.Research Supervisors: Dr Richard Emes
, Dr Nigel Mongan
, Dr Lisa Yon
Primary Funding Source:
Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia
- Zainuddin ZZ, Mohamad A, Choong SS, Romo S, Daim MS (1999) Blood collection techniques in the Badak Kerbau (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) in Sungai Dusun Rhino Conservation Centre. The Journal of Wildlife and Parks 17: 116–120.
- Choong SS, Yusoff R, Zainuddin ZZ (2001) Proceedings: Correlation between vaginal cytology and serum progesterone in Sumatra Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis). In 2nd International Congress/13th VAM Congress and CVA-Australia/Oceania Regional Symposium.
- Choong SS, Mathew A, Zainuddin ZZ, (2007) Rickettsia-like Organism Infestation in Captive Malayan Tapir (Tapirus indicus). In 16th Conference of South East Asian Zoos Association (SEAZA).
- Da Silva MO, Kortegaard HE, Choong SS, Arnbjerg J, Bertelsen MF (2011) Resorptive tooth root lesions in the Malayan Tapir (Tapirus indicus), Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 42(1): 40–43.
- Choy FS and Choong SS (2011) A retrospective study on the controversial usage of tiletamine-zolazepam in captive and wild tigers (Panthera tigris) in Peninsular Malaysia from 2003-2011. In 5th Asian Workshop on Zoo and Wildlife Medicine/Conservation.
- Nilsson EM, Fainberg HP, Choong SS, Giles TC, Sells J, May S, Stansfield FJ, Allen WR, Emes RD, Mostyn A, Mongan NP, Yon L (2014) Molecular characterization of adipose tissue in the African elephant (Loxodonta africana). PLoS One 9(3):e91717.