Intermediate Small Animal Abdominal Ultrasound - Fully booked, add to a waiting list
This highly interactive and practical two-day course will focus on how to get the most out of an abdominal ultrasound examination (including small abdominal structures). Presentations on each body system will consider imaging techniques, normal findings and common pathological changes. These are followed by practical scanning sessions supported by experienced tutors. Delegates will have the chance to use a range of ultrasound machines and get plenty of opportunity to practice their technique on a live dogs.
Topics to be covered
- Review of ultrasound machine settings to optimise image
- Obtaining diagnostic images of abdominal structures (liver, spleen, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, kidneys, bladder, pancreas, adrenals, lymph nodes)
- Appreciating the appearance of common pathological changes in abdominal structures with ultrasonography
- Principles of ultrasound guided sampling (including practice with simulators)
- The basic principles of ultrasonography and how to apply these to optimise image quality (patient preparation, ultrasound machine settings and scanning technique)
- Standard imaging views of abdominal structures, including landmarks and normal appearance
- How pathological processes affect ultrasonographic appearance and recognise common changes in appearance
- Advantages and limitations of ultrasound guided sampling and appropriate technique
- Performing a systematic whole abdominal ultrasound examination
Required delegate attributes
This course is designed for veterinary surgeons who have completed some basic ultrasonography training (e.g. the Introduction to Small Animal Ultrasound course). It will provide invaluable experience for those wishing to gain further experience and refine their technique in scanning the major abdominal organs and increase their confidence with smaller structures. The course would also be of value to those veterinary surgeons undertaking further professional qualifications in small animal medicine or veterinary diagnostic imaging.