Introduction to Stifle Surgery
This highly practical one day basic course will be dedicated to understanding and performing the most commonly performed stifle procedures.
Topics to be covered
- Refresher of stifle anatomy
- Refresher of how to diagnose common conditions of the stifle e.g. cruciate disease, patellar luxation, osteochondrosis
- Overview of techniques to manage cruciate disease and patella luxation with dedicated practical exercises
- Practical exercises:
- Performing a lateral stifle arthrotomy
- Identifying all the stifle intra-articular structures including menisci
- Meniscal surgery; what to do, when to do it and how to do it
- Lateral fabella extra-capsular stabilisation for cranial cruciate ligament rupture
- Tibial tuberosity transposition and femoral trochlear sulcoplasty for patellar luxation
Required delegate attributes
Delegates should have experience of basic orthopaedic surgery, and cases of cranial cruciate ligament disease and patellar luxation. It is desirable to have some previous experience of stifle surgery.