UK Seminar on Self-Driving Vehicles
ICT KTN, GRACE and RIN are pleased to invite you to a free 1 day seminar on Self-Driving Vehicles to be held on 1st March 2012 at the University of Nottingham's Sir Colin Campbell Building, Jubilee Campus. Limited spaces available.
This will introduce the concepts and encourage debate about the issues and how to solve them. We hope to stimulate thinking, networking and engagement towards practical first steps. The scope will cover technical and non-technical (legal and commercial models as well as user acceptance.) This will consider all land-based transport systems including road and other modes/systems.
• Autonomous vehicles that operate in isolation – each relying entirely on its own sensors – using information that a human driver would observe.
• Cooperative vehicles – sharing information with the infrastructure and with each other.
• Accommodating vulnerable users – how would vehicles / drivers be warned of vulnerable road users? How would vulnerable users be warned of approaching vehicles?
• Migration – operation in a mixed environment with only some equipped vehicles.
• Failure modes / performance and service management.
• Legal liability for failure & accidents – impact on insurance.
• Technology readiness levels, including status of EU and international R&D, and consideration of EU Mandate M453.
• Learning from other modes – space and defence, rail, maritime, aeronautics.
• Motivation including EU intentions, safety, environment, comfort, social inclusion, commercial realities, etc.
Key technologies include:
• High availability location technologies (integration of multiple on-board sensors, sharing of location data between vehicles).
• Communication between vehicles.
• Interface to the infrastructure.
Participation is expected from:
• OEM – car makers; ITS industry; Telcos; insurance companies; user groups; space and defence; universities; national and local government
Please check the full programme and visit the RIN site.
For exhibitor information please contact:
Dr. Chaz Dixon
t: +44 7771 388 665
Please register FREE here.