4.1 Strategic ICT (S-ICT) Toolkit Deployment
This section describes the different options for deploying the S-ICT toolkit within your own institution. It will focus on actions 2-4 from the list of S-ICT actions below:
- Planning, preparing and initiating your project
- Setting the scene for potential participants
- Exploring the toolkit
- Completing the questionnaire's
- Analysing and coding the results
- Completing a review of your maturity, investigating opportunities for improvement and making recommendations
- Developing a detailed business change definition, seeking approval as appropriate and presenting a business case for change
The S-ICT field test institutions identified a number of methods for deploying the S-ICT toolkit either across their entire institution or across a selected academic or business area. The suggested deployment techniques vary considerably. Some are most suited to obtaining a broad view from a wide range of respondents, whilst others are better suited to situations when it would be better to spend more time with a smaller cohort to obtain a deeper richer picture. Many field institutions chose to place their questionnaire's online; either in the original spread sheet form or delivered via online survey tools such as Survey Monkey. This enabled a more efficient and reliable end-to-end respondent engagement process and simplified the data collection, coding and analysis tasks that followed.
There are three primary S-ICT toolkit deployment models:
- Awareness session led
- Interview led
- Broadcast led
When you are selecting your deployment model you need to consider your own available time and your respondent's time, the physical location of your respondents, and their existing levels of strategic institutional knowledge. The mindmap overleaf provides a generic illustration of each deployment option.