Dr Fangying Wang is an Assistant Professor in Structural Engineering in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Nottingham. She is engaged in teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and is working in the Centre for Structural Engineering & Informatics Research Group.
She joined the university in July 2020. Prior to that, she was a postdoctoral research fellow at Nanyang Technological University. She obtained her BEng (Hons) in Civil Engineering from Tongji University in 2014. Afterwards, she was awarded the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship to pursue her PhD in Structural Engineering at the University of Hong Kong and obtained the degree in 2018. She was a visiting PhD student at Imperial College London from 2017 to 2018.
Memberships of committees:
- British Standard Institution (BSI) B/525/4- the UK input to CEN/TC 250/SC 4 Eurocode 1994 Design of composite steel and concrete structures and Eurocodes related documents.
Scientific committee: the 11th International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures (ICASS'2023), Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, 5-7 Dec 2023.
Scientific committee: the 10th International Conference on Steel and Aluminium Structures (ICSAS 2024), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 5-7 June 2024.
Session Chair Stainless steel: the Tenth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures (ICASS' 2020) 21-23 August 2022 - Chengdu, China.
- Co-Chair of Conference UKacm 2022 Annual Conference of the UK Association for Computational Mechanics 2022
Leader of organising committee - Regency Steel Asia Symposium 2019
Organising committee member - Ninth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures 2018
CURRENT JOURNAL ROLES
- Guest Associate Editor- Frontiers in Materials (Structural Materials)
- Guest Associate Editor- Frontiers in Built Environment
- Reviewer- Structures (Awarded Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing)
- Reviewer- Journal of Constructional Steel Research (Awarded Certificate of Reviewing)
- Reviewer- Thin-Walled Structures
- Reviewer- Advances in Structural Engineering
- Reviewer- Asian Journal of Civil Engineering
- Reviewer- International Journal of Steel Structures
Recent News: https://www.linkedin.com/in/fangying-wang-b7bb1271/
Dr Fangying Wang's principal research interests lie in the areas of laboratory testing, numerical modelling and the assessment and development of design rules for high-performance steel and composite steel structures. In particular, her current research focuses on various domains of structural engineering including, but not limited to, local and global stability of stainless steel tubular structures, high strength steel open section structures, and concrete-filled steel tubular structures. She has been leading in research projects on sustainable constructions with green and recycled materials, and structural resilience of steel structures after fire hazards.
Full publication list: https://scholar.google.com.hk/citations?user=MN89KJIAAAAJ&hl=en
- Civil & Structural Steel Design Project (CIVE 2041) - Contributor (2020/21, 2021/22, 2022/23)
- Advanced Structural Analysis (CIVE 4097) - Module Convenor (2022/23)
- BEng Individual Investigative Project (CIVE3015) - Contributor (2020/21, 2021/22, 2022/23)
- MEng Individual Investigative Project (CIVE4008) - Contributor (2020/21, 2021/22, 2022/23)
- MEng Group Design Project (GDP, CIVE4021) - Contributor (2020/21, 2021/22, 2022/23)
- MSc Civil Engineering Research Project Organisation and Planning (CIVE4009) - Contributor (2020/21, 2021/22, 2022/23)
- Introduction into SAP2000 (2nd year Workshop B6 within CIVE 2043) - Convenor (2020/21, 2021/22)
- Enabling Construction Material Circularity In The Transport Infrastructure Sector. (4. 2023-3.2024), Supported by UKRI, 50,000 GBP (Co-I)
- Building a circular economy in construction through deconstruction and reusing technologies. (3.2023-7.2023), supported by International Research Collaboration Fund 2023, UoN, 2,480 GBP (PI).
- Enabling business models innovation for sustainability in the UK glass. (3.2023-9.2023), supported by UKRI, 54,245 GBP (Engineering lead, Co-I)
- Circular business model innovation in the UK cement, glass and ceramics industries. (4.2023-10.2023), supported by UKRI, 59,586 GBP (Engineering lead, Co-I)
- Optimising the use of recycled concrete aggregate and waste glass in concrete (1.2023-10.2023), supported by Msc Research Grants from the Institution of Structural Engineers, 800 GBP (PI).
- High-performance concrete and Metallic Materials at Elevated Temperatures (HICOMET). (11.2022-7.2023), supported by FPVC Acceleration Fund 2022, 60,000 GBP (PI).
- Machine learning-based fusion of experimental and synthetic data for reliable design of blind-bolted CFST connection. (11.2022-10.2023), supported by Royal Society under Kan Tong Po International Fellowship 2022, KTP\R1\221017, 3,000 GBP (PI).
- Sustainable asphalt pavements with recycled concrete aggregate and waste glass (11.2022-2.2023), EPSRC Transforming Foundation Industries Network+ Earlier Career Researcher Open Funding (Grant No. R/167260), 34,868 GBP (Co-I)
- Structural performance of a novel compound concrete-stainless steel composite stub column incorporating high volume demolished concrete (10.2022-5.2023), supported by Undergraduate Research Grants from the Institution of Structural Engineers, 800 GBP (PI).
- Avery DAQ upgrade for 5000kN hydraulic compressive testing machine (3.2022-9.2022), supported by Equipment Funding from Faculty of Engineering, 5,500 GBP (PI).
- Structural behavior and design of concrete-filled double skin stainless steel members. 9.2014-9.2018, supported by a grant from the University of Hong Kong under the seed funding program for basic research. (Main participant)
- Structural performance of a novel concrete-steel composite system - recycled aggregate concrete-filled stainless steel tube, 12.2018-9.2020, supported by Academic Research Fund (AcRF) Tier 1 Grant (Project ID: 2018-T1-001-243) from the Ministry of Education, Singapore. 190k Singapore dollar=107k GBP (Main participant)