A wide scientific base within the University enables the institute and its clients to benefit from up to date advice from leading specialists in a range of fields important to ergonomic aspects of work, including engineering, medicine and psychology.
The IOE approach is based on a thorough knowledge of ergonomics data, tools and techniques. The IOE has staff and associates who are competent to provide advice and support across the whole spectrum of ergonomics applications. All staff are bound by the Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors Professional Code of Conduct to work in an ethical, professional and high quality fashion.
The IOE style of consultancy work is very flexible, cost effective and can meet clients’ specific requirements. We provide ergonomics advice, assessments, training and investigations across the whole range of ergonomics applications including:
- manual handling
- workplace design
- musculoskeletal disorders
- product design and safety
- human computer interaction
- health and safety
- job satisfaction and design
- Manufacturing process
The IOE has established a number of partnerships, collaborations and strategic relationships with industrial and commercial companies, public, governmental and charitable bodies, and other research groups, in the UK and internationally. Within the past five years, research has been carried out with and for, amongst others, BAE Systems, Network Rail, BBC, NCR, NATS, National Grid (formely Transco), Sony, Anglian Water, Lockheed Martin, Ford, IBM, HSE, DTI, EPSRC, TUTB and the European Commission. Examples of current and recent consultancy work we have carried out include:
- Evaluation of manual handling operations for a distribution company
- Implementation of an ergonomics management programme within a major utilities company
- Examining the efficacy of patterning to improve the visibility of glazing in buildings
- Analysis of Quick Hitch failures (devices on excavators)
- Review of health and safety training in a large media organisation
If you would like more information about the IOE and the services we provide, please contact us.