Lavender Languages & Linguistics 24
Registration and refreshments will be available from 9am on Friday 28 April in the main foyer of the Sir Clive Granger Building (building no. 16 on the campus map
). There is a main visitor car park at the back of the building. An Information desk will be located in the Sir Clive Granger Building throughout the conference for late registrations and all other questions.
Getting to University Park Campus
- Click here for directions to University Park campus.
- The nearest train station to the campus is Beeston. There aren't always taxis outside in the taxi rank, but you can book one through Beeston Cable Cars: +44 (0)115 9229229. The fare is about £5-6 to Ancaster Hall.
- If you are coming from Nottingham station, there are plenty of black cabs/Hackney cars outside the station. It is around £10 from Nottingham to campus, depending on traffic.
- Alternatively, from Nottingham station you can use the tram, heading towards Toton Lane. Tickets are £2.20 each way and the tram runs every ten minutes or so. The journey to campus takes about ten minutes. Make sure you buy a ticket from the machine before you get on the tram. Use the ‘University Boulevard’ stop (the one after ‘Nottingham University’), cross the road and enter campus via the footpath. You will need to turn left before coming to the lake and follow the path up onto Jubilee Avenue, again turning left and walking past Florence Boot Hall. If you are staying in campus accommodation, walk ahead between the gatehouses until you get to a mini roundabout and follow the road straight on, along Beeston Lane. Ancaster Hall will be on your left, and the Orchards Hotel will be on your right further up the road. Alternatively, at the mini roundabout you can turn right up Cut Through Lane to get to the conference venue (Sir Clive Granger Building).
- For airport transfers, we suggest you use DG Cars or Cable Cars.
Checking-in to your Campus Accommodation
- Guests staying in campus accommodation may arrive and check-in from 3pm at the main reception in Ancaster Hall (above the West Entrance on the campus map), or in the Orchard Hotel (behind the East Midlands Conference Centre). If you are due to arrive earlier, your keys might be ready, otherwise there will be somewhere for you to leave your bags until you can check-in. If you are staying in Ancaster Hall and are expecting to arrive after 12 Midnight, please let us know and we can advise you further.
- For delegates arriving on Thursday there is an option to have dinner in Ancaster Hall at 7.30pm (you need to pre-pay for this dinner – please contact us as soon as possible if you have not yet booked). The Bar in Ancaster will be open from 5pm.
Internet, phone, and other facilities on campus
- There are wireless facilities within the halls of residence, Hotel and the main campus buildings. Information about connecting to the wireless can be found here.
- The number of the conference phone is: +44 (0) 7773198836. The phone will be active throughout the conference between 8am and 8pm for all queries.
- Just a tip: our campus has many gardens, including a 1930s garden near Lenton Hall, a Chinese garden on Cripps Hill, the Millennium garden to the back of the Orchard’s hotel and a little walled garden between the Trent Building and Highfield House (no. 12 on map). If the weather is nice, these are well worth a visit.
- There is a Boots chemist and Blackwells bookshop on campus, as well as a Costa and Starbucks coffee shop. There are also several banks and cash machines. All are located in the Portland building (no. 15 on the campus map).
Further details about the facilities on campus can be found in this Useful Information guide
This special PubhD event is happening the evening before #LavLang24 - three PhD students will be sharing their language and sexuality research over an informal drink. This event has been organised by Lexi Webster and, though it's not officially part of the conference, all Lavender delegates are very welcome!
Thursday 27 April, 7.30-10pm, Vat and Fiddle, 12-14 Queensbridge Road, Nottingham, NG2 1NB
Find out more about the LavLang PubhD event here
Back to top