Robert Anderton is Deputy Head of Country Surveillance Division in DG-Economics at the European Central Bank (ECB). His current work involves analysing structural issues relating to labour and product markets, as well as all aspects of surveillance regarding the individual euro area countries. Some of his past work at the ECB has covered a wide range of topics, including: euro area labour markets, particularly structural factors and their impacts on wages and employment; global inflation; global trade; estimating the impact of exchange rate volatility on euro area trade flows; evaluating the impact of monetary union on intra- and extra-euro are trade volumes and trade prices; estimating the degree of exchange rate pass-through to euro area prices; and modelling the behaviour and determinants of euro area FDI flows; and analysing the impact of the external dimension of the euro area.
Before joining the European Central Bank in 1999, Robert was a Research Fellow at the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR). When he joined NIESR in 1985, he worked initially as a macroeconomic modeller, contributing to the development of the National Institute's Global Econometric Model (NiGEM), and co-authoring the UK and global forecasts published in the quarterly National Institute Economic Review. His later research at NIESR covered a range of economic themes, among them: the Exchange Rate Mechanism and European labour markets; the persistence of inflation and unemployment; trade performance and innovation; the Single Currency and European institutional investors' financial asset portfolio allocations; trade, technology and labour market inequality; and the New Deal for Young Unemployed People. Funding for this research was afforded through various grants received from the Economic and Social Research Council, the European Commission, the Leverhulme Trust, the Department for Education and Employment, the Employment Service and HM Treasury.
By way of methodology, his research has employed a wide range of economic tools and techniques, including macroeconomic models, time series analysis, panel econometrics using sectoral and regional data, as well as cross-country comparisons including empirical case-study visits to factories in Germany and the UK. He has published widely in journals such as Oxford Economic Papers, the Manchester School, the Bulletin of Economic Research, the Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv and the National Institute Economic Review.
- Macroeconomic Performance in a Globalising Economy (2010; Cambridge University Press) edited by Robert Anderton and Geoff Kenny.
- The External Dimension of the Euro Area: Assessing the Linkages (2007; Cambridge University Press) edited by Robert Anderton and Filippo di Mauro.
- Globalisation and the Labour Market: Trade, Technology and Less-Skilled Workers in Europe and the United States (2006: Routledge, London) edited by Robert Anderton, Paul Brenton and John Whalley.
Papers on the Euro Area
- Anderton, R. and Bonthuis, B (2015), "Downward wage rigidities in the euro area", Research Paper 2015/09, University of Nottingham, School of Economics, Centre for Globalisation and Economic Policy. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/news-events/news/papers/1509.aspx
- Anderton, R. [Chairman], et al (2015), "Comparisons and contrasts of the impact of the crisis on euro area labour markets", European Central Bank Occasional Paper no. 159. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpops/ecbop159.en.pdf
- Anderton, R., Aranki, T., Bonthuis, B. and Jarvis, V. (2014), "Decomposing the impacts of the expenditure components of GDP on euro area unemployment", European Central Bank Working Paper no. 1747. https://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp1747.en.pdf
- Anderton, R. [Chairman], et al (2012), "Euro area Labour Markets and the Crisis", European Central Bank Occasional Paper No. 138. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpops/ecbocp138.pdf
- Anderton, R. [Chairman], et al (2011), "Structural Features of the Distributive Trades Sectors and their Impacts on Prices in the Euro area", European Central Bank Occasional Paper no. 128". http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpops/ecbocp128.pdf
- Anderton, R., Baldwin, R. and Taglioni, D. (2007), "The impact of monetary union on trade prices", Journal of Financial Transformation, Volume 19, April, 2007. Also European Central Bank Working Paper no. 238. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp238.pdf
- Anderton, R., Baltagi, B., Skudelny, F. and Sousa, N., (2005), "Intra- and extra-euro area import demand for manufactures" European Central Bank Working Paper no. 532. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp532.pdf
- Task Force of the Monetary Policy Committee of the ESCB, (2005) "Competitiveness and the Export Performance of the Euro Area", European Central Bank Occasional Paper no. 30. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpops/ecbocp30.pdf
- A. De Santis, R., Anderton, R., Hijzen, A. (2004) "On the determinants of Euro area FDI to the United States: The Knowledge-Capital-Tobin's Q Framework", European Central Bank Working Paper no. 329. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp329.pdf
- Anderton, R., di Mauro, F., Moneta, F. (2004) "Understanding the Impact of the External Dimension on the Euro Area: Trade, Capital Flows and Other International Macroeconomic Linkages", European Central Bank Occasional Paper no. 12. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpops/ecbocp12.pdf
- Anderton, R. (2003), "Extra-euro area manufacturing import prices and exchange rate pass-through", European Central Bank Working Paper no. 219. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp219.pdf
- Anderton, R. and Skudelny, F. (2001), "Exchange rate volatility and euro area imports", European Central Bank Working Paper no. 64. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp064.pdf
Papers on Global issues
- Anderton, R. and Tewolde, T. (2011), "The Global Financial Crisis: Understanding the Global Trade Downturn and Recovery", The World Economy Journal, Volume 34, Issue 5, pp. 741-763. Also European Central Bank Working Paper no.1370. http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/scpwps/ecbwp1370.pdf
- Anderton, R., Galesi, A. Lombardi, M. and di Mauro, F. (2010) "Key elements of global inflation", in Reserve Bank of Australia Conference Volume "Inflation in an Era of Relative Price Shocks" edited by Renee Fry, Callum Jones and Chris Kent. Also, University of Nottingham Research Paper No. 2009/22. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/documents/papers/2009/09-22.pdf
- Anderton, R. and Hiebert, P. (2010) "The impact of globalisation on the euro area macroeconomy", Chapter 1 in Globalisation and Macroeconomic Performance (2010 Cambridge University Press) edited by Robert Anderton and Geoff Kenny. Also, University of Nottingham Research Paper no. 2009/14. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/documents/papers/2009/09-14.pdf
- Anderton, R. and Brenton, P (2006), "Globalisation and the labour market" Chapter 1 of Globalisation and the Labour Market: Trade, Technology and Less-Skilled Workers in Europe and the United States (2006: Routledge, London) edited by Robert Anderton, Paul Brenton and John Whalley.
Papers on Trade, Technology and Labour Market Inequality
- Anderton, R., Brenton, P. and Oscarsson, E. (2002), "What's Trade Got To Do With it? Relative Demand for Skills Within Swedish Manufacturing", Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, Band 138, Heft 4, pp. 628-651, December 2002.
- Anderton, R., Brenton, P. and Oscarsson, E. (2002), "Outsourcing and Inequality", Centre for European Policy Studies Working Document no. 187. http://aei.pitt.edu/11673/1/97.pdf
- Anderton, R. and Oscarsson, E. (2002), "Inequality, Trade and Defensive Innovation in the USA", Leverhulme Centre for Research on Globalisation and Economic Policy, University of Nottingham, Research Paper no. 2002/28. http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gep/documents/papers/2002/02-28.pdf
- Anderton, R. and Brenton, P. (1999), "Outsourcing and low-skilled workers in the UK", Bulletin of Economic Research, Vol. 51, No. 3, pp.1-19.
Papers on the Impacts of Labour Market Reforms and Policy Regimes on Wages and Inflation
- Anderton, R. (1998), 'Policy regimes and the persistence of wage inflation and unemployment', The Manchester School, Vol. 66, no. 4, September, pp. 418-438.
- Anderton, R. (1997), 'Did the underlying behaviour of inflation change in the 1980s? A study of 17 countries', National Institute Discussion Paper No. 100. Also in Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, Band 133, Heft 1, March 1997.
- Anderton, R. and Barrell, R. (1995) 'The ERM and Structural Change in European Labour Markets: A Study of 10 countries.' Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, Band 131, Heft 1, pp. 47-66.
Papers on Trade Performance
- Anderton, R. (1999), 'UK trade performance and the role of product quality, variety, innovation and hysteresis: some preliminary results'. Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Volume 46, November, pp. 553-570.
- Anderton, R. (1998), 'Innovation, product quality, variety, and trade performance: an empirical analysis of Germany and the UK', Oxford Economic Papers, vol. 51, pp.152-167.
- Anderton, R. and Schultz, S. (1998), 'Explaining export success in the UK and German medical equipment industry', Anglo-German Foundation Report and Deutsches Institut fur Wirtschaftsforschung Discussion Paper no. 185. http://www.diw.de/documents/publikationen/73/diw_01.c.38530.de/dp185.pdf
- Anderton, R. (1992), 'UK exports of manufactures: testing for the effects of non-price competitiveness using stochastic trends and profitability measures', The Manchester School, Vol LX, No. 1, March.
- Anderton, R. Pesaran, B. and Wren-Lewis, S. (1992), 'Imports, output and the demand for Manufactures', Oxford Economic Papers, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 175-186.