This workshop, comprising two half-day sessions, will bring together queer scholars and activists to discuss key issues concerning queer activism in contemporary China.
The workshop features panel discussions and roundtables, artist talk, film screenings and Q&As. Guest speakers include queer filmmakers Fan Popo and He Xiaopei, queer artist Whiskey Chow, queer activists Li Maizi, John Shen, Peng Yanhui, Ren Naying and Yao Tianming, and queer studies scholars Dr Hongwei Bao, Dr Sarah Dauncey, Dr Dilnur Reyhan (National Institute for Oriental Languages and Civilisations, France), Dr Derek Hird (University of Westminster), Séagh Kehoe, Linda Pittwood, and Emmanuele Lazzara. Researchers and artists will explore the co-production of knowledge and innovative forms of academic activism.
This event is presented by the School of Cultures, Languages and Area Studies, in association with the Identities, Citizenship and Migration Centre (ICEMiC), the University of Nottingham - as part of LGBT History Month 2018.
For more information and event updates, please visit WAGIC: Women and Gender in China.
Monday 5 February 2018 (Trent Building A21 Council Room)
- 12:30pm: Arrival and Registration (Trent Building Foyer; Trent LG9)
- 1:00pm: Welcome from the School
- 1:00-2:00pm: Panel 1. Family, Belonging and Stigma
Panellists: Emmanuele Lazzara (chair), Peng Yanhui, Ren Naying, Yao Tianming
- 2:00-2:30pm: Break
- 2:30-3:30pm: Film Screening and Q&A: Our Marriage (dir. He Xiaopei, 2013, 41 min.)(chaired by Derek Hird)
- 3:30-4:30pm: Break
- 4:00-5:00pm: Panel 2. Media and Social Activism Panellists: He Xiaopei (chair), Fan Popo, Li Maizi, John Shen
- 5:00-6:00pm: Queer Performance Art and Q&A with Whiskey Chow (chaired by Linda Pittwood)
Tuesday 6 February 2018 (Trent Building LG101 Senate Chamber)
- 9:30- 10:30am: Panel 3. Margins of Queer culture
Panellists: Séagh Kehoe (chair), Whiskey Chow, Sarah Dauncey, Dilnur Reyhan
- 10:30-10:45am: Break
- 10:45-11:30am: Film Screening and Q&A: New Beijing, New Marriage (dir. Fan Popo, 2009, 18 min.) (chaired by Hongwei Bao)
- 11:45am-12:00 noon: Break
- 12:00 noon -1:00pm: Workshop Reflections: Quo Vadis Chinese Queer Activism (all panellists, chaired by Peng Yanhui)
For more information please contact Dr Hongwei Bao.