HRLC is pleased to announce its annual Summer School on the Rights of the Child. This year the summer school will run from 27 June until 1 July 2016.
The objective of this exciting programme is to consider issues concerning the rights of the child that are a matter of current legal, political and societal attention, both internationally and comparatively. These include violence against children, refugee children, child participation, child poverty, business and children's rights, and child rights monitoring and advocacy.
The Summer School will examine international and regional child rights law, including the work of the international courts and treaty monitoring bodies mandated to consider violations of the rights of the child. The full programme can be accessed here.
The Summer School faculty for 2016 include:
· Dr Benyam Dawit Mezmur, Chairperson of the African Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child of the African Union, and Chairperson of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child;
· Dr Jason Pobjoy, Research Associate, Refugee Law Centre, University of Oxford, and Barrister, Blackstone Chambers, London.
· Professor Laura Lundy, Director of the Children's Rights Centre, Queen's University, Belfast;
· Lisa Myers, Consultant, former Director of Child Rights Connect;
· Professor Matthew Happold, Professor of Public International Law, University of Luxembourg;
· Dr Najat M’jid, former UN Special Rapporteur on the sale of children, child prostitution and child pornography and International child rights expert;
· Patrick Geary, Children's Rights & Business Specialist, United Nations (UNICEF) Geneva;
· Professor Ralph Sandland, Professor of Law and Difference, University of Nottingham;
· Veronica Yates, Director, Child Rights International Network (CRIN).
The Summer School in 2016 will be led by Professor Aoife Nolan, Professor of International Human Rights Law, University of Nottingham and Academic Lead of the University's Children and Childhood Network.
Further practical information on fees and the registration process can be found on the website.