Biomedical Vacation Scholarships - Summer 2024 (Wellcome Trust)
Offered in partnership with the University of Nottingham, the Wellcome Trust’s Biomedical Vacation Scholarships are designed to provide promising undergraduates from underrepresented groups, the opportunity of hands-on research experience during the summer vacation, with the aim of encouraging them to consider a career in research. Paid at the national living wage, the eight week projects provide undergraduate students with professional experience and support their future applications for postgraduate study and research jobs.
What the scholarships involve:
With support from one of our Research Hosts, you will spend 6-8 weeks working as a researcher at the University of Nottingham. We will have a selection of exciting research projects to choose from which will offer a variety of learning situations to enhance your research skills, expand your network of contacts and get an introduction to life as a postgraduate researcher at the University of Nottingham.
What scholars receive:
- Hands on experience in a live research environment
- A basic salary at the real Living Wage plus holiday pay and National Insurance Contributions
- Where applicable a contribution towards travel expenses
The University of Nottingham through its Wellcome Trust Vacation Bursary scheme aims to recruit candidates from groups currently underrepresented at postgraduate research level both at Nottingham and the wider Higher Education sector. As such we will take positive action during our recruitment process to prioritise applicants who meet the following criteria for interviews:
- Identify as Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic UK students
- Are undertaking an undergraduate qualification at a non-Russell Group university
- Are from an area of the UK with lower participation in higher education (specifically quintile 1 & 2)
- Are a care leaver
- Have a disability
Applicants will be able to opt in to have their application considered under these widening participation criteria as part of an application. If you have any difficulty accessing or using this website, or require assistance in completing this application form then please contact us for support.