An Australian woman with a genetic disorder died from consuming too many protein supplements, it was recently reported.
The woman in question, Meegan Hefford, a 25-year-old bodybuilder, suffered from a rare, undiagnosed disorder that caused a fatal build-up of ammonia in her body.
In healthy people, most commonly used supplements intended to enhance the body – often referred to in the scientific literature as “nutraceuticals” or “functional foods” – are harmless.
This article in The Conversation is co-written by Professor of Clinical, Metabolic & Molecular Physiology at the Philip J Atherton and Assistant Professor in Physiology and Biochemistry Daniel J Wilkinson, from the University of Nottingham.
Division of Medical Sciences and Graduate Entry Medicine
The University of Nottingham
Royal Derby Hospital
Uttoxeter Road, Derby, DE22 3DT
telephone: +44 (0)1332 724622
Connect with the University of Nottingham through social media and our blogs.
Campus maps | More contact information | Jobs
Browser does not support script.