Engagement with business and industry through specific doctoral training forms a key part of our knowledge transfer activity.
Many doctoral training programmes undertake leading research with a specific focus on industrial application.
Why work with us?
Highly competitive and prestigious
- Get involved in cutting-edge collaborative research
- Cut across discipline boundaries to address business needs and drive economic growth
- Two of our doctoral training programmes have connections to our international campuses in China and Malaysia
- This means you can take part in research projects or international placements programmes
Diverse opportunities for collaboration
Working closely with business is a key feature of doctoral training programmes and takes many forms, including:
- being part of industry advisory groups
- contributing to training to ensure postgraduates develop the right skill set for business need
- being a collaborator or host on a research project
- hosting a placement student or internship
Working with a doctoral training programme can mean that you're connecting into a number of universities and research institutions as many of the programmes are consortia of major research organisations.
Many doctoral training programmes are connected into a number of universities and research institutions enabling you to benefit from the expertise across the best areas for your field of study.
Integrated research training programme
- A comprehensive researcher training programme is central to what doctoral training programmes have to offer and is integrated into a doctoral training programme doctorate
- By helping us shape the training we offer, you help us to ensure that researchers are developing the right kind of skills for research and business
Ways to work with us
Placements and internships
Doctoral research students can provide many benefits to your organisation, and taking them on placement – whether industrial or research – embeds key academic skills and knowledge within your organisation.
We focus on attracting the best research students to our doctoral training programmes, and provide suitable training before placements. As such they are highly effective and offer real value to host organisations.
Check the relevant doctoral training programme and contact them directly for information.
Research partnership opportunities
Developing ongoing partnerships is a key aim of many doctoral training programmes, and the closer and stronger the relationship your organisation has with us, the greater the benefits.
Aligning areas of interest and combining knowledge and research at a deep, integrated level enables the collaboration to be highly productive.
We are happy to discuss collaboration and partnership opportunities with you directly. Contact the relevant doctoral training programme in the first instance.
Our current EngD industrial partners and placement hosts include:
- Aero Engine Controls
- Cummins Generator
- Taylor Hobson Limited
- Unilever Discover
Richard has just finished his placement here. We are really happy with his contribution and professional approach. He came up to speed on the problems of interest very quickly. Richard used his skills and experience from his PhD work, particularly his knowledge of coding in R, and has handed over well-documented code to the team which we will be able to develop further. Richard has proven to be an excellent fit for Tessella and I hope he'll come talk to us when he has completed his PhD.
Tessella (Scientific Computing Company) on a placement student
While we recommend contacting the relevant doctoral training programme to discuss working with us, general enquiries can be made by phone on +44 (0)115 84 66948 or by email at email@example.com.