Student fees and finance

Frequently asked questions about 2012 fees

I am applying for 2011 entry; will I be affected? 
No, the changes only affect students who start at University from September 2012. If you start your course in 2011 or earlier you will continue on the old financial arrangements. The annual tuition fee will remain at the same level for current students and students starting in 2011, but will be increased by a small amount (linked to inflation) each year. This is set by the government and details will be published on our website. 
I applied in the 2011 cycle for deferred entry to 2012; will I have to pay a higher graduate contribution?

Yes. The new arrangements apply from 2012 entry for all students starting their course in that year, even if they applied earlier with deferred entry.

How much will the University charge from 2012?

Full-time undergraduate fees for home* (UK) and EU students will be set at £9,000 per year, subject to agreement by the Office for Fair Access (OFFA).

I am applying for a nursing or NHS funded course for 2012. What do the changes mean for me? 
There is currently a review of how NHS students are funded. Please visit the Student Services Financial Support website for further information on nursing or NHS funded courses.
I am applying for a PGCE course for 2012. What do the changes mean for me? 
Please visit the Student Services Financial Support website for further information on funding for PGCE students.

What financial support will be available?

It is important to remember that you will not have to pay for the cost of your tuition up front. The government will provide the money up front for any eligible student in England who secures a place in higher education. You then take out a tuition loan which you start to repay when you are working and earning more than £21,000 a year.

There will be a range of financial support available for students including non-means-tested loans to help with tuition fees and living expenses, plus means-tested loans, grants and scholarships.

The University of Nottingham is providing a generous package of bursaries to support home* students from lower-income families. Well over a third of our students will be eligible for our core bursaries, which offer up to a maximum of £3,000 for each year of undergraduate study.

Students from families with incomes up to £42,600 are eligible for our core bursaries. Additional support is available for students with particular circumstances. Our bursary scheme is designed to be fair, clear and easy to access. You don’t have to repay these bursaries.

We estimate that we will provide over £4m in means-tested bursaries to students entering in September 2012. We will continue to support students who entered prior to 2012 with our current bursary scheme, which will provide £5m of means-tested support in 2012-13.

Who can get a tuition loan?

Eligible full-time students in England who are studying for their first degree, or other higher education course, from September 2012 can get a tuition loan.

What do you mean by ‘eligible’?

Whether you are eligible will depend on factors including where you live, the course you choose to study, where you study, and whether or not you already hold a higher education qualification.

How much money can I get?

Eligible full-time students can get a loan to cover the full amount of their tuition costs.

How do I apply for the loan?

You can apply for student loans and non-repayable grants by completing an application form online at Directgov.

If you don’t have access to a computer you can call Student Finance England on 0845 300 5090, who will send you a paper application form.

Will the University be offering fee waivers under the National Scholarships Programme? If so, to whom?
Home* students accepted on to one of our Year 0 courses (preliminary or foundation years) and with family incomes under £25,000 are likely to be eligible for a full fee waiver under the National Scholarships Programme. Care leavers enrolled on any undergraduate course are also likely to be eligible. We do not currently plan to offer fee waivers to other students or for other courses. We will confirm our arrangements for fee waivers, once the Government has issued detailed guidance on the National Scholarships Programme.
When do I need to apply?

Don’t wait until you’ve been formally offered a place – you can apply for your student finance in late 2011 or early 2012.

How does the money for my course get paid to the University?

The loan will be paid directly to the University. It isn’t paid to you.


How much will I repay, how and when?

You will only start to repay your loans after you have left university and are earning at least £21,000. This threshold will increase in line with earnings from 2016 onwards. If for any reason your income falls below £21,000, for example if you take maternity leave, your repayments will be suspended. The amount repaid each month will depend on your earnings - repayments will be 9% of income above £21,000.

For example, someone earning £21,500 - currently the salary of a newly-qualified teacher - would initially make repayments of £4 per month. The monthly repayment would increase to £23 for someone earning £24,000 per year; £30 on a salary of £25,000; £45 on £27,000; and £68 on £30,000.

The repayments will normally be deducted automatically from your salary through the tax system. Interest on your loan will be charged at inflation plus 3% while you are studying, and up until the April after you leave university. From the April after you leave university if you are earning below £21,000, interest will be applied at the rate of inflation.  Graduates earning between £21,000 and £41,000 will be charged interest on a sliding scale up to a maximum of inflation plus 3%.

Graduates earning above £41,000 will be charged interest at the rate of inflation plus 3%.  All outstanding repayments will be written off after 30 years.

For further information go to student finance website at Directgov.

What are the arrangements for part-time students?

The fees and financial support arrangements are changing for part-time students. The two most significant changes are that: 1) students on most programmes will no longer have to pay any tuition fees up front; 2) loans for the graduate contribution will be extended to eligible part-time first-degree students who complete a minimum of 25% of the full-time course load per year (30 credits or more).

Please note: part-time students are not eligible for maintenance loans or grants.


Will loan repayments affect my ability to take out a loan?

This would be a decision for the loan provider, but student loan information won't be shared with credit reference agencies by Student Finance England.

Will loan repayments affect my ability to get a mortgage?

The Council of Mortgage Lenders has advised that a student loan is very unlikely to impact materially on an individual’s ability to get a mortgage. The amount of mortgage available may depend on net income.

What control do graduates have over how much they pay back per month?
Graduates do not have control over how much they repay each month via the tax system.
What happens if I don’t finish my course?

Even if you don’t finish your course you still have to pay back any money you have borrowed, but not until you are earning more than £21,000 a year.

Do I have to pay back my tuition loan separately to my loan for living costs?
No, the two loans are added together so you only have to make one repayment.
I'm an international student; do these changes affect me?

No, these changes only affect students from the UK and elsewhere in the European Union. Fees and financial support arrangements for international students are decided by universities themselves.


I am a student from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland – will this apply to me?

No. Students who normally live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland will receive financial support for university from the Scottish Government, the Welsh Assembly Government or the Northern Ireland Executive (as appropriate).

I am an EU student intending to study in England – will this apply to me?

EU students from outside the UK that meet certain eligibility criteria will have access to a loan to cover the cost of their tuition. They will generally not be entitled to support for their living costs?



Government FAQs on student finance from 2012

The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills have produced a frequently asked questions document about student finance from September 2012 PDF

Further information on student finance can be found on the Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS) website.

*A home student is defined as a student who meets certain residency conditions (the same conditions apply to eligibility for UK Government student financial support).  Usually this means you have an unrestricted right to enter and remain in the UK and you have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of your course.  None of this time must have been spent in the UK wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education. Visit the Directgov website for further information.    

The University of Nottingham's proposed fees and bursary arrangements are subject to approval by the Office for Fair Access (OFFA). 


The content of theses pages is administered by:

Planning, Performance & Strategic Change

Engineering & Science Learning Centre
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

For details about who to contact for queries regarding student tuition fees and financial support, please visit the Student Finance contact us page.