Services for Students

Funding for PGCE students

Information is for students, with 'home' tuition fee status, who commence their PGCE (Post-graduate Certificate in Education) or School Direct (non-salaried) course in September 2024 and who usually live in England. 

Non UK students should refer to Train to teach in England as a non-UK citizen | Get Into Teaching GOV.UK ( Applicants with a degree from outside the UK should refer to Teach in England if you trained outside the UK | Get Into Teaching GOV.UK (

Student funding for full-time teacher training courses is provided by the Department for Education (DfE) and Student Finance.

Bursaries and scholarships are available to trainees on a fee-based teacher training course in England that leads to the award of Qualified Teacher Status. Availability is dependent on your highest relevant academic award and the subject you are studying to teach. To receive a bursary or scholarship you must be entitled to support under the Student Finance England criteria, unless you are studying to teach Languages or Physics. 

Scholarships from professional bodies

Scholarships - trainees with First/2:1/Masters/PhD



Chemistry, Computing, Mathematics, Physics


Languages (French, German, Spanish)



Please note trainees awarded a scholarship cannot receive a bursary.

Bursaries from the Department for Education

Department for Education (DfE) offers a bursary for specific subject areas studied at PGCE level. The amount you receive depends on the subject area you are studying to teach and the classification (not subject) of your first degree. 

Bursaries for PGCE courses


Trainee with First/2:1/2:2/Masters /PhD

Chemistry, Computing, Mathematics, Physics


Biology, Design and Technology, Geography, Languages (including ancient languages)


Art and Design, English, Music and RE


  *see Department for Education web site for further information 

Student Finance (Student Loans Company funding)

You can also, if eligible, apply for a maintenance loan and tuition fee loan from Student Finance. The funding package is the same one as offered to undergraduate students so please go to the funding for undergraduate students page for more information.

Students may also be eligible to apply to the University Support Funds.

University of Nottingham Core Bursary

PGCE students may be eligible for the University's Core Bursary. Awards are based on the household income figure from the assessment carried out by Student Finance, for funding purposes.

Bursary award levels
 Household income  Award level
 up to £35,000  £1,000


Further information on the University Guaranteed Bursaries.

University of Nottingham Potential Bursary

The Nottingham Potential Bursary provides £1,000 per year for students who meet one of the following criteria:

  • student with an adult or child dependant and an assessed household income from Student Finance as £35,000 or below

For more information about the Core and Nottingham Potential Bursaries, including links to application forms, please go to the Bursaries page 

Care Experienced and Estranged Student Bursary  

Please go to the web page for more information about this bursary for Care Experienced students and students who are estranged from their parents

School Direct Salaried and SCITT students

Please note if you have a salaried School Direct place you will not be eligible for funding from either Student Finance or the National College for Teaching and Leadership. 

Students studying courses through the SCITT Programme (where the School/Academy (eg EMTTP or Torch) is the main course provider, rather than the University) should apply for funding from Student Finance using the School/Academy as the institution they are studying at. They will also be the contact point for any Student Finance query.

Salaried School Direct and SCITT students (or students on any similar course where the University of Nottingham is not the main training provider) are not eligible for additional financial support from the University of Nottingham.


Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points