Services for Students

EU Undergraduate student funding

Funding for EU students is changing from September 2021!

Continuing EU undergraduate students, both full time and part time (from 2012 entry onwards) who started their course before September 2021, are eligible to apply for a loan from the UK Government towards their tuition fees to a maximum of £9,250 for the academic year 2023/24. To apply and to check eligibility criteria please go to the web pages . (You are not able to apply for a loan that is more than your tuition fee liability.) 

EU - Settled status (EUSS)

Those who have been granted settled status under the EUSS will generally be eligible for home fee status, tuition fee and maintenance support if they have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for at least 3 years.

Irish citizens are automatically treated as settled in the UK and do not need to apply for the EUSS, if they are living in England.

See the student funding web page for details of the package available.

EU - Pre-settled status

EU nationals, and their family members, will generally be awarded a tuition fee loan by Student Finance where the student has pre-settled status and has 3 years’ residence in the UK, Gibraltar, EEA and Switzerland (unless that residence was wholly or mainly for the purpose of education).

Students who live in Ireland (Eire) should be able to access a tuition fee loan without pre-settled status.

 More information for both settled and pre-settled status is available on the website 


Migrant worker status

EU students with pre-settled status may be able to be assessed for migrant worker status, or child of a migrant worker status, in which case you may be eligible to apply for the same funding package for your course as a UK student.  Please refer to the student funding web page for information about the funding package.

Contact Student Finance on +44 (0)300 100 0607 for further details.

Frequently asked questions

How do I apply to Student Finance?
You need to request or download the relevant application form from


How will my tuition fees be paid to the University?


Is there any other funding available for EU undergraduates?
The University may offer entry scholarships to EU students. Please refer to the International Recruitment Scholarship web page for more details.

You can search the web to see if there are any other funds you can apply to from Charities, Trusts etc. If you have children and they have to attend Ofsted registered childcare so you can attend your course, you can apply to the University's Childcare Support Fund  where you may be assessed as being eligible for a small contribution towards the cost.


How do I repay the loan/s?
If, after you have completed your course, you stay and work in the UK, you will repay the loan through your salary as other UK nationals. However if you return to your home country, or work in Europe or elsewhere, different rules apply. Please refer to the Student Loans Company Repayment web pages for up to date information about repaying your loan while living and working overseas.


After checking the web pages I am still not sure about my eligibility for funding from Student Finance. Is there someone I can talk to, to check my eligibility?
Student Finance England have a Call Centre where you can speak to an advisor. The number to call is +44 141 243 3600


For all general enquiries regarding student support and postgraduate level scholarships please contact the team on 0115 823 2071 or 



Student Services

University Park

Please see our need help page for telephone and online contact points