10. Combining protective measures to protect our communities
There is no single way to protect ourselves and our communities from COVID-19.
We can get the best protection by combining all the protective measures we have available and ensuring people have appropriate financial and social support.
Vaccination is an important protective measure.
"The Swiss Cheese Respiratory Virus Pandemic Defence Version 4.3" by Ian M. Mackay is licensed under CC BY 4.0
Reveal long description
The Swiss Cheese Respiratory Virus Pandemic Defence
Recognising that no single intervention is perfect at preventing the spread.
- Stay at home if sick
- Physical distancing
- Hand hygiene, cough etiquette
- Physical distance, outdoors
- If crowded / High CO2, limit time
Shared & Personal Responsibilities
- Empathetic, factual, culturally responsible communication
- Fast and sensitive testing and tracing. Acting on results
- Leadership: Transparency & financial supoort
- Quarantine & isolation
- Border controls & stay-at-home orders
- Ventilation, humidity air filtration
Each intervention (slice) has imperfections (holes) which change in size, number and position depending on how the intervention is rolled out.
Multiple layers improve success.
Ian M Mackray, VIROLOGYDOWNUNDER.COM
With thanks to Jody Lanard, Katherine Arden & The Uni of QLD
Based on the Swiss cheese model of accident causation, by James T Reason 1990 Version 4.3
Update 04 Sep 2021