Welcome to the Institute for Science and Society
Our research is transforming how we engage with science and technology. We are expanding public participation and community involvement in knowledge and innovation. We are developing novel ways to contribute to the making of scientific research and technological change.
The Institute for Science and Society (ISS) is one of the leading centres in Science and Technology Studies (STS) within the UK, Europe and internationally. We are not only concerned with investigating the social, political and ecological aspects of science and technology but also with conducting transdisciplinary research that brings together the sciences, the humanities and the social sciences. Since ISS was established in 1998 we have attracted over £20 million in research funding in collaboration with partners across many different disciplines.
ISS has a distinctive research and working ethos: we are strongly committed to producing ground-breaking, transformational, engaged and collaborative research and to supporting new generations of STS scholars, postgraduate research students and early career researchers.
ISS has launched a EcoSocieties, a capacity building thematic programme of research committed to facilitate ecological transitions in our societies.
These are some of the topics that stand out in the research of ISS scholars:
- Sustainable social infrastructures: energy, climate change, green chemical technologies and low carbon transitions
- Health and the psychosocial: biomedicine, bioscience and the psychological and social constitution of our lives
- Alternative technoscience: from minority engagement, participatory practices and activist research to citizen science and community technoscience
- Animals, medicine and society: laboratory research and veterinary ethics
- Expanding bioeconomies: circular economies, responsible innovation and the valorisation of waste, renewables and biomass
- Involved STS: feminist, decolonial, cultural and more-than-human approaches to science, technology and society
- Language and science: metaphors, representations and the framing of scientific and technological issues in public discourse and the media
- Digital lives: from sensing technologies to big data screening and data culling to digital objects and the fusion of code and matter
- Responsible research and innovation: science and society collaborations, public deliberation and participatory governance, science policy, scientific decision making
- Transdisciplinary engagements: synergies between the social sciences, physical sciences, biosciences and engineering
- Dimitris Papadopoulos, Maria Puig de la Bellacasa, and Maddalena Tacchetti have submitted the manuscript of the edited volume on "Ecological Reparation. Repair, Remediation and Resurgence in Social and Environmental Conflict" to Bristol University Press.
- 04 May 2021
- Using Large Text News Archives for the Analysis of Climate Change Discourse: Some Methodological Observations.
- 27 April 2021
See all news
- 12 May 2021 (12:00-13:00)
- With Warren Pearce (University of Sheffield).
- 26 May 2021 (12:00-13:00)
- With Karolina Trdlicova (University of Nottingham).
See all events