Guide to supporting resources
This suite of supporting resources is designed to provide additional information about the individuals and events referred to in ‘Politics of the 4th Duke of Newcastle’, and to assist users in placing them within a wider context.
Some of the supporting resources are specific to ‘Politics of the 4th Duke of Newcastle’ and so are to be found exclusively within this site; others have a wider relevance and so are located within the Manuscripts and Special Collections web site.
The following is designed to provide a general overview of each resource:
- Timeline: This is specific to ‘Politics of the 4th Duke of Newcastle’. It summarises the main political events occurring during the period when the 4th Duke was writing his diaries. It helps to provide a background context for the particular events highlighted here, but would also assist users in identifying political events referred to elsewhere in the diaries.
- Biographies: This resource provides links to biographical information about individuals mentioned within the diary extracts and selected supporting documents. The biographies themselves form part of a more extensive biographical resource being developed within the Manuscripts and Special Collections web site.
- Glossary: Another resource specific to ‘Politics of the 4th Duke of Newcastle’. This explains terms found within both the original documents and the supporting analysis which may be unfamiliar to users, or which may require further explanation.
- Family Tree: Shows the full line of descent of the Dukes of Newcastle under Lyne. Relevant to all Newcastle holdings, and therefore forming part of the Manuscripts and Special Collections web site.
- Political Cartoons: Images which illustrate issues raised within ‘Politics of the 4th Duke of Newcastle’.
- 1846 Poll Book online
- Find catalogue records: This resource provides a link to the Manuscripts and Special Collections online catalogue, which contains more than 130,000 descriptions of individual manuscript items, and some suggested searches. The resource aims to assist users in searching the catalogue for further information about the subject themes investigated within ‘Politics of the 4th Duke of Newcastle’.
Next page: Timeline