Texts – spoken, written, multimodal, electronic, social media, perfomative and computer-mediated – are shaped by and shape the real world. However, these "texts" are often approached in different ways in different disciplines. By bringing together researchers from across the University, we are producing innovative research.
- Developing innovative methods to produce, collect and study texts
- Understanding texts in professional and educational contexts
- Investigating literary interventions, and how texts shape experience and cultural legacy
- Enhancing our ability to translate cultures
- Investigating the relationships between performances and audiences, and the impact of texts in performance on society and culture
Our multidisciplinary research gives us incredible insight into societies and cultures from across the world, while digital data and analysis applies our knowledge in exciting new ways.
Our consultancies work with both small enterprises and multinationals, so our research has real impact on society at local level and across the globe.
Our work with literary festivals, theatres and performers, community and heritage groups and a programme of public lectures and workshops are also evidence of community engagement and impact.
Much of our work is carried out in dedicated research groups. While concentrating on specific areas of knowledge they encourage input, review and sharing across disciplines to develop innovative solutions to challenging problems.