Important information: Students must attend a school/college that is currently working with an RO partner university, in order to be eligible to apply for this programme.
Realising Opportunities (RO) is a collaborative outreach scheme run at 14 universities across the UK, providing opportunities for Year 12 and 13 students to access research intensive universities.
This two-year programme offers students the chance to:
- gain an alternative offer from any of the participating RO universities, which is typically two grades lower than the standard offer*
- attend exclusive outreach events at universities across the partnership
- develop academic, analytical and critical thinking skills
- make informed choices about higher education and research intensive universities
(*Subject to programme completion and excluding a small number of exception courses)
Is it for you?
To apply, you must meet all of the following:
- attend a state-funded school/college which is currently working with an RO university to deliver the RO programme
- have achieved at least five grade A*-B (9-6) at GCSE (or equivalent); if this does not include English Language and Mathematics you must have achieved at least a grade C (4) in these subjects
- be a home registered student or expect to be by the time you apply for higher education. If you are not, but are classed as an asylum seeker, see the full eligibility criteria for more information
In addition, students must meet two of the following:
- live in a 'low participation' neighbourhood. This is defined by your home postcode, which you can check on the RO website
- come from a home where neither parent attended university in the UK or abroad
- be in receipt of, or entitled to, discretionary payments/16-19 bursary at school/college
- be in receipt of, or entitled to, free school meals, or have been in the last six years
- be attending or have attended an RO eligible school/college
- be living in, or have lived in, local authority care or be a young carer
How to apply
Applications for 2021 are now closed.
If you are unsure whether your school/college is working with an RO university, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The RO key contact at your school/college will share an application key with you and you will be able to use this to submit an application on the RO website.