Basic Surgical Skills 1
- Workshop one - Tuesday 15 March,
- Workshop two - Tuesday 26 April
||Rob White BSc BVetMed CertVA DSAS (Soft Tissue) DipECVS SFHEA FRCVS
||School of Veterinary Medicine and Science
|Cost online booking
This highly practical, workshop-led course is based on the Royal College of Surgeons’ Intercollegiate Basic Surgical Skills Course, which is curriculum mandated training for core surgery training in the medical profession.
Topics to be covered
Through a series of hands-on sessions, you will develop a range of core surgical skills and techniques. Each skill will be introduced with a step-by-step demonstration, before participants practice the technique.
Options to buy Basic Surgical skills 1 and 2 at a discounted rate can be found here
After attending this course, you should have revised and gained both core and new skills in open surgery. You should be able to:
- demonstrate safe operating techniques
- more confidently handle and use surgical instruments
- better understand of the use and misuse of common suture materials and surgical needles
- use a variety of surgical knots safely and effectively
- safely and confidently ligate a vascular pedicle (including the effective use of the modified Miller’s knot)
- safely and confidently perform an ovariohysterectomy or ovariectomy in the bitch and the queen
- perform safe and consistent closure of the linea alba using a continuous suture pattern, the sliding self-locking knot and the Aberdeen knot
- perform a gastrotomy in a safe and confident manner
Required delegate attributes
You will receive continual feedback and assessment throughout. Attendance at these courses will qualify for the full set of video presentations demonstrating all of the skills taught during the day of your attendance. In addition, if you attend at both BSS 1 and BSS 2 you will receive a Limbs and Things’ Suture Tutor kit worth £40. This resource will allow you to practice and refine your surgical skills after the course in the comfort of your own home.Each day is delivered by Professor Rob White, RCVS Recognised Specialist in Small Animal Surgery (Soft Tissue) at the School of Veterinary Medicine and Science, Sutton Bonington and are priced at £345 per day or £600 for both days.