Core Surgical Skills 1
- Wednesday 15 March 2023
- Tuesday 28th March 2023
- Tuesday 24th October 2023
||Rob White BSc BVetMed CertVA DSAS (Soft Tissue) DipECVS SFHEA FRCVS
||School of Veterinary Medicine and Science
|Online Booking Cost (10% discount)
|Alumni cost (from 1st April 2023 - 20% discount)
This highly practical, workshop-led course is based on the Royal College of Surgeons’ Intercollegiate Core Surgical Skills Course, which is curriculum mandated training for core surgery training in the medical profession.
Topics to be covered
Through a series of hands-on sessions, you will develop a range of core surgical skills and techniques. Each skill will be introduced with a step-by-step demonstration, before participants practice the technique.
After attending this course, you should have revised and gained both core and new skills in open surgery. You should be able to:
- demonstrate safe operating techniques
- more confidently handle and use surgical instruments
- better understand of the use and misuse of common suture materials and surgical needles
- use a variety of surgical knots safely and effectively
- safely and confidently ligate a vascular pedicle (including the effective use of the modified Miller’s knot)
- safely and confidently perform an ovariohysterectomy or ovariectomy in the bitch and the queen
- perform safe and consistent closure of the linea alba using a continuous suture pattern, the sliding self-locking knot and the Aberdeen knot
- perform a gastrotomy in a safe and confident manner
Required delegate attributes
You will receive continual feedback and assessment throughout. Attendance at these courses will qualify for the full set of video presentations demonstrating all of the skills taught during the day of your attendance.