I am a clinical psychologist with a passion for research, teaching and communication.
After graduating with a BSc in Psychology and a MSc in Clinical Psychology at the University of Padova (Italy), I moved to the University of Nottingham UK, where I completed my PhD in Applied Psychology with a thesis titled "An investigation of autonomic arousal and attentional mechanisms in children with ADHD and Autism" (supervised by Dr Maddie Groom and Prof Chris Hollis).
As a psychologist, I worked in private and public health services and was involved in diagnostic assessment and planning of interventions for children with psychological, psychiatric and neuro-developmental conditions such as ADHD, autism, anxiety and depression.
Before working for the University of Nottingham Malaysia, I worked as a Teaching Associate/Fellow at the University of Nottingham UK and at King's College London.
-Heart Rate Variability
-Neuropsychological and Cognitive assessment
In the academic year 2021/22 I will teach the following modules within the BSc Psychology and BSc Psychology & Cognitive Neuroscience:
- Biological Psychology (PSGY1011)
- Developmental Psychology (part of Social and Developmental Psychology; PSGY2013)
I am also currently supervising six 3rd year students on their Final Year Projects/Dissertations.
I have previously taught on the following topics:
- Neurodevelopmental disorders
- Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience
- Research Methods in Psychology
- Quantitative Methods in Psychology
- Communication and Presentation skills
- Academic writing
I am currently working on the following research topics:
- Autonomic correlates of emotional dysregulation
- Vision and ocular problems in Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Effects of ADHD medication on autonomic and physiological arousal
- Impact of Heart Rate Variability on cognitive performance in people with different levels of ADHD traits
- Physiological and Autonomic correlates of mental and physical wellbeing
- Working memory training in ADHD
I am willing to consider PhD proposals and collaborations with colleagues worldwide on any of the research topics mentioned in this page and in the Research tab. Feel free to reach out by email for enquiries.
BELLATO, ALESSIO, ARORA, ITI, KOCHHAR, PUJA, ROPAR, DANIELLE, HOLLIS, CHRIS and GROOM, MADELEINE J., 2021. Heart Rate Variability in Children and Adolescents with Autism, ADHD and Co-occurring Autism and ADHD, During Passive and Active Experimental Conditions JOURNAL OF AUTISM AND DEVELOPMENTAL DISORDERS. BELLATO, ALESSIO, NORMAN, LUKE, IDREES, IMAN, OGAWA, CAROLINA Y., WAITT, ALICE, ZUCCOLO, PEDRO F., TYE, CHARLOTTE, RADUA, JOAQUIM, GROOM, MADELEINE J. and SHEPHARD, ELIZABETH, 2021. A systematic review and meta-analysis of altered electrophysiological markers of performance monitoring in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Gilles de la Tourette Syndrome (GTS), Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and Autism NEUROSCIENCE AND BIOBEHAVIORAL REVIEWS. 131, 964-987 ARORA I, BELLATO A, GLIGA T, ROPAR D, KOCHHAR P, HOLLIS C and GROOM, MADELEINE, 2021. What is the Effect of Stimulus Complexity on Attention to Repeating and Changing Information in Autism? JOURNAL OF AUTISM AND DEVELOPMENTAL DISORDERS.
ARORA, I, BELLATO, A, ROPAR, D, HOLLIS, C and GROOM, MJ, 2021. Is autonomic function during resting-state atypical in Autism: A systematic review of evidence NEUROSCIENCE AND BIOBEHAVIORAL REVIEWS. 125, 417-441
-Autonomic arousal and attentional mechanisms in ADHD and Autism
-Resting-state brain activity in ADHD and Autism
-Psychological factors underlying adherence to COVID-19 regulations
-Electrophysiological markers of performance monitoring in neurodevelopmental disorders
-Impact of subclinical autistic traits on visual attention
-Play training in Autism
I am interested in working on the following research topics:
- Relationship between temperament and indices of autonomic arousal in infants who later develop ADHD and Autism
- Impact of gold-standard interventions for anxiety and depression on autonomic arousal
- Typical and atypical developmental changes in autonomic arousal and physiological mechanisms
I am willing to consider PhD proposals and collaborations with colleagues worldwide on any of the research topics mentioned in this page. Feel free to reach out by email for enquiries.