Careers and Employability Service
Services for current students

Finding courses

Students sitting in a lecture theatre


Before you start looking for courses, it's advisable to find out the types of courses that are on offer.

Research degree

  • Involves the in-depth study of a specific subject area and is usually related to your first-degree subject. Research is largely self-directed, and consists of writing a thesis or dissertation, with support from a supervisor
  • Typically these are doctoral degrees (PhD or DPhil) which last three years or longer and masters degrees by research (MA, MSc, MPhil or MRes) which last 12 months full-time

Postgraduate taught programmes

  • Usually delivered via lectures and seminars. Sometimes you will still have to complete a dissertation or project 
  • Programmes include masters courses (MA or MSc), postgraduate diplomas or certificates, professional qualifications and other specialist courses


Where to look

Courses (scholarships) (scholarships)

The University of Nottingham postgraduate prospectus


TARGETpostgradProfessional bodies often provide information on courses accredited by them, for example the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).

Use our career pages for details of professional bodies


Disability Rights UK
FAQs and information booklets for students with disabilities

Stonewall University Guide
Information for prospective students looking for LGBT friendly institutions

PhD books

  • The following books are also available for reference only: How to get a PhD, Getting Your PhD and The PhD Application Handbook

Careers and Employability Service

University of Nottingham
Portland Building, Level D
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 3680
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3679