Welcome to the School of Chemistry
See latest advice for UoN community and details of how to report symptoms or test results
- Excellence in teaching: 98% of MSci Chemistry students agree that the course is intellectually stimulating (National Student Survey, 2019)
- State-of-the-art teaching laboratories
- Excellence in Research: REF2014 judged 95% of our research activity to be 'internationally excellent' or 'world leading'
- A thriving research environment with 160 postgraduate students and 60 post-doctoral fellows from all corners of the globe
- Fully committed to providing a positive and supportive learning and working environment
- Outstanding engagement with the community through demonstration lectures, events with schools and colleges, and the award winning Periodic Table of Videos
The Sir Jesse Boot Chair of Organic Chemistry
2020 was the 100th anniversary of the Sir Jesse Boot Chair of Organic Chemistry.
The century covered by the Sir Jesse Boot Chair in Organic Chemistry has seen an enormous expansion in the School of Chemistry at the University of Nottingham, going from 8 academic staff and around 40 full and part-time students in 1920, to 50 academic staff and more than 800 fulltime undergraduate and postgraduate students and postdoctoral researchers in 2020.
Read more about the Chair and its incumbents
The history of the School of Chemistry