Biography of Edward Evelyn Harcourt-Vernon (1853-1932)
Edward was the eldest son of the Rev. Evelyn Hardolph Harcourt-Vernon (1821-1890), vicar of Cotgrave. He inherited the Grove estate from his father in 1890. The estates passed after his death to his eldest surviving son Granville Charles FitzHerbert Harcourt-Vernon.
He was a Justice of the Peace (serving as Chairman of the Bench from 1895) and a Deputy Lieutenant. He was a County Councillor for Nottinghamshire from 1889 until his retirement in 1910, and Chairman of his local Board of Guardians from 1887-1896. He served as High Sheriff in 1894. He was also a Captain in the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry.
He married 1stly in 1879 Grace (d 1881), daughter of the Rev. Alleyne FitzHerbert, rector of Warsop, and had:
- Hardolph Venables (b and d 1881)
He married 2ndly in 1883 Frances Theresa, daughter of Sir William FitzHerbert, 4th Baronet, and had:
- Granville Charles FitzHerbert (1891-1974)
- Egerton Gervase Edward (b 1899), Lieutenant in the Grenadier Guards, m in 1932 Marion Hatherdon and had issue
- Sybil Ida (b 1884)
- Ida Beatrice (1885-1973)
- Muriel Theresa (1887-1975), m in 1921 Walter Gordon Duncan
- Evelyn Hermione (1889-1943)
- No archive collections relating to Edward Evelyn Harcourt-Vernon have yet been identified.