Biography of Evelyn Hardolph Harcourt-Vernon (1821-1890)
Evelyn was a younger son of Granville Harcourt Vernon (1792-1879), M.P. for Retford, Nottinghamshire. He entered University College, Oxford, in 1839.
He was ordained as a deacon in 1845 and a priest in 1846. He was rector of Grove and vicar of Headon-cum-Upton from 1846 to 1859, then vicar of Cotgrave 1859-1873. He returned to Grove in 1873, serving until 1883. He was a Prebendary of Lincoln from 1866, and Rural Dean of Bingham.
He inherited the Grove estate from his father in 1879, and was a member of the local Board of Guardians for 12 years. In 1882 he completed the rebuilding of Grove parish church.
Evelyn died of pleurisy at Toronto, Canada, in 1890. At the time of his death, his residence was given as 104 Cromwell Road, South Kensington, London. He gave the house in his will to his wife Jane for her life or widowhood. The remainder of his estates passed to his eldest son Edward Evelyn Harcourt Vernon.
He married in 1849 Jane Catherine (d 1891), daughter of Edward St. John Mildmay, and had:
- Edward Evelyn (1853-1932)
- Algernon Hardolph (b 1858), vicar of Clocolan, South Africa, and Canon of Bloemfontein, m 1stly in 1881 Kate Candler (d 1883), and m 2ndly in 1886 Georgina Marguerite Martin, and had issue
- Walter Granville (b 1860), m in 1884 Helen Rebecca Traer (d 1926) and had issue
- Herbert Evelyn (b 1863), m in 1885 Mary Adelaide Allen (d 1936), and had issue
- Mary Frances (b 1850), m in 1879 the Rev. Algernon Frederick Ebsworth (d 1918), vicar of East Retford, and had issue
- Catherine Helena (d 1867)
- Frances Jessie, Mother Superior in Bloemfontein, South Africa
- Selina Jane (d 1925), m in 1893 Paulet Bertram St. John Mildmay
- A small bundle of papers relating to land at Ordsall owned by Evelyn H. Harcourt-Vernon is part of the Eyre collection held in Manuscripts and Special Collections at the University of Nottingham