Biography of Sydney William Herbert Pierrepont, 3rd Earl Manvers (1825-1900)
- Robert Pierrepont, 1st Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (1584-1643)
- Henry Pierrepont, 2nd Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull and Marquess of Dorchester (1607-1680)
- Robert Pierrepont, 3rd Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (c.1660-1682)
- William Pierrepont, 4th Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (c.1662-1690)
- Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull (c.1665-1726)
- William Pierrepont, Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (1692-1713)
- Evelyn Pierrepont, 2nd Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull (1711-1773)
- Charles (Medows) Pierrepont, 1st Earl Manvers (1737-1816)
- Charles Herbert Pierrepont, 2nd Earl Manvers (1778-1860)
- Sydney William Herbert Pierrepont, 3rd Earl Manvers (1825-1900)
- Charles William Sydney Pierrepont, 4th Earl Manvers (1854-1926)
- Evelyn Robert Pierrepont, 5th Earl Manvers (1888-1940)
- Gervas Evelyn Pierrepont, 6th Earl Manvers (1881-1955)
Sydney was the second surviving son of Charles Herbert Pierrepont, 2nd Earl Manvers, and was born at Holme Pierrepont. He entered Christ Church College, Oxford, in 1843, graduating B.A. in 1846.
He was styled Viscount Newark from 1850, and succeeded his father in 1860. He was elected unopposed as Conservative M.P. for South Nottinghamshire in 1852 and served until 1860.
He also held local offices appropriate to his rank, being a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant for Nottinghamshire, and rising from 1st Lieutenant in the Nottinghamshire Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry in 1844 to Honorary Colonel in 1879.
He married Georgine Jane Elizabeth Fanny de Franquetot, second daughter of Augustin, Duc de Coigny (d 1910), in 1852, and had:
- Charles William Sydney (1854-1926), later 4th Earl
- Evelyn Henry (1856-1926) m Sophia Arkwright (-1941) in 1880 and had:
- Gervas Evelyn, 6th Earl Manvers (1881-1955)
- Eva Mary Pierrepont (1882-), m E.M. Scott-MacKirdy in 1906. Their daughter Angela m Eric Denzil Holder (who later acted as the Thoresby Estate Agent) in 1937
- Clare Isma Pierrepont (1884-), m Frederick S. Hartnell in 1919
- Ida Helen Pierrepont (1886-1894)
- Henry Sydney (1863-1882)
- Emily Annora Charlotte (1853-1935), m Frederick Lygon, 6th Earl Beauchamp in 1878
- Mary Augusta (1865-1917), m John Peter Grant in 1899
- Title deeds, estate papers and settlements relating to the 3rd Earl's ownership of his estates are part of the Manvers Collection held in Manuscripts and Special Collections at the University of Nottingham
- There is a separate collection of papers of the Franquetot Family, Earls of Coigny, of France, 1488-1870 (Mc) held in Manuscripts and Special Collections at the University of Nottingham
- There are no notable published works concerning the 3rd Earl.