Lawrence collections elsewhere
There are a number of other collections of Lawrence manuscripts, papers and correspondence held in other repositories and libraries in Britain and abroad, in particular in the United States of America.
Where appropriate an active link is supplied to the relevant institution. This does not necessarily indicate that full details of their Lawrence holdings will be available over the Internet.
Elsewhere in the United Kingdom
Additional information on smaller collections can be found through the National Register of Archives .
In the United States of America
There are a large number of varied collections of Lawrence materials held by American Universities including:
- Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center, University of Texas at Austin (printed books and manuscripts)
- Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, Los Angeles
- State University College at Buffalo, New York State
- Cornell University Libraries
- Southern Illinois University Library
- University of Chicago Library, Department of Special Collections
- University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library
- Indiana University, Lilly Library
- Harvard University, Houghton Library
- Stanford University Libraries, Department of Special Collections
- Yale University Libraries, Beinecke Library
- University of Cincinnati Libraries, Archives and Rare Books Department
- Columbia University Library, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
- University of New Mexico Library, Special Collections Department, Zimmerman Library
Further brief details of these can be found through the National Register of Archives.
Finding Aids to American University Collections gives direct on-line access to the detailed finding aids to D H Lawrence holdings at University of California, Berkeley; University of California, Los Angeles and Stanford University.
Repositories of Primary Sources provides links to most American University Library collections.
Published bibliographic sources including details of Lawrence collections
- Location Register of Twentieth Century English Literary Manuscripts and Letters in the British Isles (British Library 1988) gives the locations of Lawrence collections in the British Isles.
- A Bibliography of D H Lawrence by Warren Roberts and Paul Poplawski (3rd ed., Cambridge University Press, 2001). Section E. provides a detailed list of manuscripts of Lawrence works and their location world wide.
Published guides to specific collections include:
- A Bibliography of the D H Lawrence Collection at Illinois State University compiled, described and annotated by Rodger L Tarr and Robert Sokan (1979)
- The Freida Lawrence Collection of D H Lawrence Manuscripts: A descriptive bibliography by E W Tedlock Jr. (1948)
Next page: Links to Lawrence-related websites