Student athletes bring Brunei to Nottingham

Brunei Games in Nottingham
31 Mar 2011 13:55:00.000


Hundreds of students from Brunei will be gathering in Nottingham on Saturday April 2 for a day of sporting competition.

The annual BruNotts Easter Games attracts Bruneian students based at universities all over the UK, to compete for glory in football, netball, badminton and squash. Hundreds more are expected to attend as supporters and volunteer helpers.

These are the 8th annual BruNotts games, and guests expected this year include representatives from the Brunei Students’ Unit.

Click here for full story

The Games are held in and around The University of Nottingham Sports Centre, on University Park, over the course of the whole day.

The University of Nottingham has more students from Brunei than any other UK university, and has developed strong links with the south-east Asian nation over many years. The University hosts the Games every year to promote sportsmanship and highlight the strong links that exist between Brunei and Nottingham.

There are now more than 100 Bruneian students at Nottingham, a number that has grown significantly in recent years. The majority hold government scholarships and around 90 per cent are studying at undergraduate level — mainly in science and engineering subjects — with the remaining 10 per cent at postgraduate level.

Vincenzo Raimo, Director of the University’s International Office, said: “The University of Nottingham is one of the most ‘international’ universities in the UK, and it has a very active community of international students — as demonstrated by fantastic events like this. The BruNotts Games has become a great celebration of sporting talent and we’re delighted to welcome so many Bruneian students to the campus.”

Students from more than 150 nations have chosen Nottingham in the 2010/11 academic year, boosting international numbers to over 8,000.

With another 8,000 studying at The University of Nottingham’s sites in Malaysia and China, the University has underlined its status as a truly global player in higher education and is now the largest recruiter of overseas students to a British university campus.

Nottingham has been welcoming international students for much of its history. It was the first UK university to set up a full campus overseas, in Malaysia, and the first overseas university in the world to establish a teaching and research university inside China.

— Ends —

Notes to editors: The University of Nottingham, described by The Sunday Times University Guide 2011 as ‘the embodiment of the modern international university’, has award-winning campuses in the United Kingdom, China and Malaysia. It is ranked in the UK's Top 10 and the World's Top 75 universities by the Shanghai Jiao Tong (SJTU) and the QS World University Rankings. It was named ‘Europe’s greenest university’ in the UI GreenMetric World University Ranking, a league table of the world’s most environmentally-friendly higher education institutions, which ranked Nottingham second in the world overall.
The University is committed to providing a truly international education for its 40,000 students, producing world-leading research and benefiting the communities around its campuses in the UK and Asia.

More than 90 per cent of research at The University of Nottingham is of international quality, according to the most recent Research Assessment Exercise, with almost 60 per cent of all research defined as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’. Research Fortnight analysis of RAE 2008 ranked the University 7th in the UK by research power.

The University’s vision is to be recognised around the world for its signature contributions, especially in global food security, energy & sustainability, and health.

More news from the University at:

Story credits

More information is available from Helen Rylands, Sponsorship co-ordinator, International Office, University of Nottingham, on +44 (0)115 846 6344,

Tim Utton

Tim Utton - Deputy Director of Communications

Email: Phone: +44 (0)115 846 8092 Location: University Park

Additional resources

No additional resources for this article

Related articles

International student numbers hit all-time high at Nottingham

Published Date
Monday 18th January 2010

Media Relations - External Relations

The University of Nottingham
C Floor, Pope Building (Room C4)
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5798