Research Fellow in Biomaterials Development and Additive Manufacturing. Prior to this, I was an EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellow 2018 within the INSIGNEO Institute for in silico Medicine at the University of Sheffield having received a Master's degree in Biomaterial Science and Tissue Engineering in 2014 and a PhD in 2017 under the supervision of Dr. Gwendolen C Reilly and Dr. Frederik Claeyssens.
Bone tissue engineering and in vitro modelling of bone.
- Polymer synthesis, in particular for modification of materials for use in microstereolithography (MSL).
- Materials characterisation, including SEM, micro-computed tomography, FTIR and contact angle assessment.
- Advanced mechanical characterisation of synthetic and biological materials.
- Range of polymeric scaffold manufacture techniques, including single and two-photon stereolithorgaphy.
- Extensive cell culture experience in 2D and 3D, including mesenchymal progenitor (MP)/osteoblast-lineage cell lines, primary MP culture and their differentiation into osteoblastic and chondrogenic lineages, and culture of primary monocytes and their differentiation into osteoclasts.
- Cell culture assay techniques including viability and cell number, differentiation by enzyme upregulation, histological staining, immunohistochemistry, fluorescence and confocal microscopy, ELISA, and qPCR.
- Competent user of statistical analysis software such as GraphPad Prism, as well office IT applications.
Development and in vitro screening of porous polymer microparticles for bone regeneration
BORG, STEPHANIE A, BUCKLEY, HARRIET, OWEN, ROBERT, MARIN, ANA CAMPOS, LU, YONGTAU, EYLES, DARRYL, LACROIX, DAMIEN, REILLY, GWENDOLEN C, SKERRY, TIM M and BISHOP, NICK J, 2018. Early life vitamin D depletion alters the postnatal response to skeletal loading in growing and mature bone PloS one. 13(1), e0190675 BHASKAR, BIRRU, OWEN, ROBERT, BAHMAEE, HOSSEIN, RAO, PARCHA SREENIVASA and REILLY, GWENDOLEN C, 2018. Design and Assessment of a Dynamic Perfusion Bioreactor for Large Bone Tissue Engineering Scaffolds Applied biochemistry and biotechnology. 1-9 OWEN, ROBERT and REILLY, GWENDOLEN C, 2018. In vitro Models of Bone Remodelling and Associated Disorders Frontiers in bioengineering and biotechnology. 6,
PASHNEH-TALA, SAMAND, OWEN, ROBERT, BAHMAEE, HOSSEIN, REKVSTYTE, S, MALINAUSKAS, MANGIRDAS and CLAEYSSENS, FREDERIK, 2018. Synthesis, characterization and 3D micro-structuring via 2-photon polymerization of poly (glycerol sebacate)-methacrylate-an elastomeric degradable polymer Frontiers in Physics. 6,