I am a registered pharmacist, having graduated with a BPharm (Hons) from the University of Nottingham in 1986 and registered with the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain in 1987.
I was employed as a pharmacist by Boots the Chemists in 1987 and, after two years, took up the position of the first Boots Teacher-Practitioner within Nottingham School of Pharmacy. Since then I have continued to work in the School, having held a variety of roles,,including Course Director and Clinical Course Director. I am now Associate Professor within Clinical Pharmacy Practice.
During this time I have continued to be involved in other areas of pharmacy, notably as a community pharmacy locum, and trainer, writer and assessor of education and training materials for pharmacists, pre-registration students and pharmacy technicians.
In 2006 I received a Lord Dearing Award for Teaching and Learning.
I was awarded a PhD from the School of Education, University of Nottingham, under the supervision of Prof Monica McLean,looking at the potential for intercultural capability development through internationalised Higher Education.
Memberships of Committees & Professional Bodies
- Member of the General Pharmaceutical Council of Great Britain
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Within the School of Pharmacy I teach aspects of the Professional and Pharmacy Practice components of the MPharm. I am academic lead for inter-professional learning and module convenor for a first year module, Being a Pharmacist. My teaching includes developing, writing and delivery of lectures, seminars and workshops in the areas of:
- The Pharmacy Profession
- Communicating with patients
- Responding to Symptoms
- Law and Ethics
My research interests focus on teaching and learning in higher education. I am currently researching into aspects of intercultural education, and particularly the potential for higher education to… read more
MULLEN, E, BRIDGES, S, ECCLES, S and DIPPOLD, D, 2019. Precursors to Employability - How First Year Undergraduate Students Plan and Strategize to Become Employable Graduates. In: Employability via Higher Education: Sustainability as Scholarship Springer. 564 (In Press.)
IKHILE, I, ANDERSON, C, MCGRATH, S and BRIDGES, S, 2018. Is the Global Pharmacy Workforce Issue All About Numbers? American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 82(6), 6818
BRIDGES, SJ, 2017. Professional Identity Development: Learning and Journeying Together Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy.
My research interests focus on teaching and learning in higher education. I am currently researching into aspects of intercultural education, and particularly the potential for higher education to act as a space for students to explore and develop more cosmopolitan-aware selves. I am particularly interested in the Capability Approach as a means of conceptualizing and evaluating a higher educational environment which promotes intercultural capability development.
- Dippold, D. Bridges, S, Eccles, S, Mullen, E (2018) Developing the global graduate: how first year university students narrate their experiences of culture. Language and Intercultural Communication https://doi.org/10.1080/14708477.2018.1526939
- Ikhile, I, Anderson, C, McGrath, S, Bridges, S (2018) Is the global pharmacy workforce all about numbers? American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education 82 (6) 635-636
- Bridges, SJ (2017) Professional identity development: learning and journeying together. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2017.03.054
- Bridges, S.J. (2014) Evaluating and supporting the intercultural capabilities of pharmacy undergraduates. PhD thesis, University of Nottingham.
- Eccles, S, Bridges, SJ, Mullen, E, Dippold, D, (2017) From Belonging to Becoming: first year undergraduate students' reflections. SRHE Annual Research Conference, Newport, South Wales, December 2017
- Bridges, SJ (2017) Collaboration, Connection and Cosmopolitanism: promoting intercultural understanding through group work. SRHE Annual Research Conference, Newport, South Wales, December 2017
- Bridges, SJ, Dippold, D, Eccles, S, Mullen, E (2016) Identifying and Supporting Intercultural Capabilities for Transition Into, Through and Out of Higher Education. SRHE Annual Research Conference, Newport, South Wales, December 2016
- Bridges, SJ (2016) Integrating Academic, Professional and Personal Learning through Multicultural Group Work. SRHE Annual Research Conference, Newport, South Wales, December 2016