School of Politics and International Relations

Frequently Asked Questions

We have compiled this list of frequently asked questions to help applicants. You might also find it useful to visit the university's frequently asked questions page.

Undergraduate FAQs

How do I apply for a degree?

If you wish to apply for any of the politics and international relations degree undergraduate programmes, then you must apply through the UCAS where you can apply online.

How many A levels do I need? And what grades?

We normally ask for three high-quality A levels, although the precise grades differ from degree to degree. You can read more on our current admissions requirements.

Do I need to have an A level in politics?

No. We want candidates who have an interest in the subject and who are keen to study it. Prior academic study of politics is not required.

Do you count general studies as an A level?


Do you consider mature applicants?

We encourage applications from mature applicants. We deal with all such applications on a case by case basis, although normally we would be looking for applicants to have pursued further study or professional qualifications since leaving school, or to have undertaken an Access course. An interview might be required.

What about international students?

We welcome applications from international students, even if they do not have A levels.

Is there an opportunity to study abroad?

All students in the School of Politics and International Relations can apply to go abroad. Find out more about studying abroad.

Please be aware that study abroad, compulsory year abroad, optional placements/internships and integrated year in industry opportunities may change at any time for a number of reasons, including curriculum developments, changes to arrangements with partner universities or placement/industry hosts, travel restrictions or other circumstances outside of the university's control. Every effort will be made to update this information as quickly as possible should a change occur.

Can I defer my study?

We are normally quite happy for students to defer their entry to the university.

Can I visit the school and university?

All applicants who are offered a place receive an invitation to an offer-holder day.

The university also holds campus-wide open days, at which representatives from the School of Politics and International Relations participate.

Can I transfer to Nottingham from another university?

This is occasionally possible and depends on what stage of your degree course you have reached, what you have studied, how well you have done, and why you want to move to Nottingham.

Please contact the school as early as possible at and provide as much information as you can: we will then be able to advise you on the best way to proceed.



Postgraduate taught FAQs

What sources of funding and scholarships are available?

Information regarding funding can be found on the school's funding page.

Do I need to have studied politics or international relations previously?

You do not need to have taken a politics-related degree to make an application to one of our masters programmes.

What are the fees?

Full details of fees are shown on the university website.

What are the typical living expenses?

There is no magic figure however guidance can be found on the university's student finance site.

How do I apply?

You are encouraged to apply using the university's online application process. Full guidance can be found on the university postgraduate prospectus webpages.

How many hours of lectures and seminars will I have?

There is no typical timetable, however, for full-time students you can expect to have at least six hours of contact time per week. It is important to understand that you are also expected to undertake independent study under the guidance of academic staff.

What is the deadline for postgraduate taught applications?

For students requiring a visa to study in the UK, a completed application form and all supporting documents must be received by 5 August.

For those who do not require a visa to study, we accept applications all year round, with a deadline of 26 August. However, applicants should apply in enough time for their application to be processed before the start of the new academic year, which takes at least 14 working days.



Postgraduate research degrees FAQs

How many supervisors will I have?

All students are allocated two supervisors, one of whom will be a specialist in the field in which you are working. You will also receive additional support through membership of one of the school's research centres and institutes.

What kind of facilities and general support is provided?

As you would expect, the school provides excellent facilities and support for its research students. There is a large postgraduate research (PGR) office with desks available to book and the possibility to loan a laptop for the period of your study if needed. 

You will recieve allowances for photocopying and printing, and will be invited to attend a weekly colloqiuim meeting with your fellow PGR students in the school.

What does the wider research environment look like?

The school also hosts a graduate colloquium at which students present the results of their research. We also arrange an extensive programme of research-related activities, including distinguished visiting speakers, conferences and workshops.

What is the deadline for postgraduate research applications?

Applications are accepted throughout the year. We usually accept students at the start of semester one (September) and semester two (January).

Students requiring a visa to study in the UK should submit an application, including all supporting documents, by 19 August for September start. The deadline for UK students is 16 September.





School of Politics and International Relations

Law and Social Sciences building
University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

Contact us