Research Excellence Framework
The University of Nottingham has been recognised for its transformational research that improves the lives of millions of people following the publication of the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021.
In the Faculty of Social Sciences, more than 98% of research is of international quality according to REF, with 85% graded as world-leading or internationally excellent.
This confirms the strength of our research and reflects the investment made in ensuring Nottingham research is globally significant and is making a positive contribution to the world around us. The Faculty is extremely proud of the partnerships and collaborations that have led to this record of success.
For the university as a whole, during the REF period more than 100 million people have engaged with or been positively impacted by our research. These results show our research continues to make a difference to millions of people across wide range of areas, championing responses to key global challenges, transforming lives and shaping the future.
- Healthy lives – our research has saved the NHS an estimated £2bn
- Sustainable futures – our research has reduced CO₂ emissions by approximately 16.3m tonnes (per year) each year (half the annual emissions of New Zealand)
- Society and communities – our policy research has impacted every UK citizen: Bank of England Monetary policy; Post Brexit Agriculture Act, Sugar Tax, Driving test and road safety, consumer credit regulations
- Culture and communication – our researchers have worked with 50+ cultural organisations globally
- Survivors of modern slavery – bringing legal reform and support to thousands of our most vulnerable people