Academic Services Division

Information for Former Students

Former students of the University may at times require verification of their study, replacement certificates or transcripts or information relating to their studies.  If you graduated in 1987 or before, we may only be able to verify study details (title, level, date of graduation and final qualification) or produce a duplicate certificate.


How do I obtain a transcript of my University marks?

If you graduated in 1987 or before, we will only confirm the title and level of your final qualification and the date of your graduation, please apply online to obtain this. 

If you graduated in or after 1988, we can provide a transcript of the marks you obtained while you were at University (there is a charge for this service).

Please note that there may be occasions when we do not have a comprehensive set of marks for each stage of your course, especially if you graduated from the University prior to 2001. If we are unable to produce a full Transcript for you, we will confirm your degree title, degree class and the date that you were officially awarded a degree and give you a full refund. If you are a former International Mobility Student (Study Abroad, Universitas 21, International Exchange or Socrates Erasmus) you should order your transcript from the International Office.



How can I get confirmation of my degree?

Once you have graduated from the University of Nottingham, you may be required to provide evidence of your degree. We can produce a degree confirmation letter that will prove that you have studied here and verify your degree result. To request this document, you can apply online.



How can I obtain a replacement/duplicate certificates or diploma supplements?

You can apply for a duplicate certificate and/or diploma supplement. Please visit the online shop and select the relevant option from the documents and letters section. 



Can I change my name on my certificate?

The student's name on the degree certificate should match the student's official record as held by the University. This is the definitive record of the student and their achievement. This information is used for the production of graduation proceedings and degree certificates and names are not normally changed after Graduation unless a spelling or administrative error has been made.

However, the University is aware of its responsibilities under the Gender Recognition Act 2004 and Equality Act 2010, in circumstances where a post-operative transsexual who has changed name officially asks the University to reissue a degree certificate in their new name, this request will be granted upon production of proof of name change.

In circumstances where an individual is in the transition phase and needs a record of their achievement under their new presenting gender, this request will be granted upon production of proof of name change.

Individuals will also be asked how they want their official University record to be reflected for the future and the record will be updated accordingly. Individuals will be required to return their original degree certificate before a new degree certificate will be issued. Changes of name on a degree certificate post-graduation in other circumstances will not be permitted.



How can an employer or a potential employer confirm that I have a degree from the University of Nottingham?
All requests to verify information regarding leavers and graduates are now processed through Higher Education Degree Datacheck. Verification requests should be submitted at









Academic Services Division

Portland Building, University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

Please see our departmental organisation pages for contact numbers
Fax: +44 (0) 115 951 5540