Welcome to the School of Biosciences
The School of Biosciences is a strong and strategically smart academic community with an internationally competitive research environment combined with teaching excellence. It comprises 81 academic staff, 880 undergraduates, 180 taught postgraduates and 190 research postgraduates.
Athena Swan Silver Award
The School is made up of five Divisions and associated Research Centres :
The School also has a branch at the University's Malaysia campus where BScs in Biotechnology, Environmental Science, Nutrition and Plant Biotechnology, and an MSc in Crop Biotechnology/Crop Biotechnology with Entrepreneurship are offered.
The School's research philosophy is:
Discover and apply fundamental knowledge from "Farm to Fork"
Ensure effective resource utilisation
Improve quality and safety of food production in the context of animal and human health.
Our research excellence is recognised independently as being of international importance. In the most recent RAE, the joint submission by the School of Biosciences and the School of Veterinary Medicine and Science (both on the Sutton Bonington Campus) confirmed our top position in the UK in our subject areas (Agriculture, Veterinary and Food Science). 95% of our research activities are recognised on the international stage and 60% are described as world-leading/internationally excellent.
The School's teaching quality is regularly recognised as outstanding. Being actively involved with, and in some cases leading, the developments in their fields mean that our lecturers are ideally placed to inspire our students.
Excellence in research informs excellence in teaching
- Room C11 Portland Building, University Park campus
- Mayfest is an annual community open day held at University Park Campus. This year the event is taking place on Saturday 18th May. The School of Biosciences will be represented with biofuels activities from the LACE project and plant-related fun with CPIB & Plant Sciences.
- 21 - 25/05/2013
- Our exhibit Food for the Future is based in the Great Pavilion at the show.
- Sutton Bonington Campus, The Front Lawns
- Our amazing farmers market is a must see if you are in the area, take the opportunity to buy fresh produce, meat, fish and vegetables as well as the best baked goods in town!
- LR9 Food Sciences Building, Sutton Bonington Campus, Univeristy of Nottingham
- A one-day international conference hosted by The University of Nottingham in collaboration with BCVA
- Joanne Hort, Associate Professor in Sensory Science, was announced as Chair of the European Sensory Scientist Society (E3S) at the Professional Food Sensory Conference on the 13 May 2013
- The University's School of Biosciences is exhibiting for the first time at this year's centenary show, and the team are using the opportunity to showcase their latest research in the field of global food security.