The School of Biosciences is one of the strongest teaching and research centres for fundamental and applied biological, agricultural, environmental and food sciences in the UK. Our students are taught by world-class specialists, many of whom are expert advisers to national and international bodies.
The school has consistently achieved high ratings in independent assessments of teaching and research:
- We were ranked first for a research environment in the UK (Agriculture, Veterinary and Food Science) in the 2014 REF results, with 97% of our work judged to be of international quality
- Our staff excel in research at both national and international levels
- We have extensive links with companies and institutions working in the field of biosciences, ensuring that our courses are relevant to industry.
Our research and teaching includes:
- Global food security
- Environment and its protection
- Growth, development and reproduction of plants, animals and microbes
- Production and preservation of agricultural and food commodities
- Food quality, health, nutrition and safety.
Courses take place in our state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities dedicated to the study of biosciences. These include a purpose-built plant, food science and bio-energy buildings, many specialised laboratories, a 24-hour learning resource centre, university farm and dairy centre.