Evening Language Classes
The Language Centre offers a successful programme of classes which is open to the general public, staff and students. Find out more using the links below.
Languages and course content
New beginners courses in the following languages will start in January 2020
Enrolment deadline for all courses is midnight on Sunday 19th January.
How you will study
- Classes offer an excellent learning environment, with small groups and a friendly atmosphere.
- Class size varies between 10 and 22 students, facilitating interaction between students and the tutor.
- The target language will be used as often as possible. Many of our tutors are native speakers and all are highly experienced and qualified to deliver high quality language classes.
- If you find yourself on a level that is too easy or too difficult, you are welcome to move to a different level provided there are spaces available. If you are unable to attend the different level, we will provide you with a refund of the course fees.
- It may be necessary to purchase a text book to support your studies. Details of the text book will be provided in the first class.
- There is the option of taking a voluntary assessment at the end of the spring term for all languages. Students who pass the voluntary assessment may receive a certificate of achievement.
How to apply
Some students will be able to study a language as part of your degree course, please see our modules for current students webpage for more information.
However, if you choose to study a language in addition to your degree, you will be required to pay a course fee. You can register online now using the link below for October 2019 evening classes.
Funded students (DTP and MFL Grant students)
You should enrol using the registration link below and choose the funded student option.
- Book your place on a course using the registration link below.
- Nottingham Advantage Award registration opens 1 September 2019.
- Complete the application form
- Deadline to register for the Award is Monday 28 October 2019.
University of Nottingham students who are taking the evening classes as part of the Nottingham Advantage Award are required to take a compulsory assessment at the end of the spring term, as well as completing a reflective portfolio.
We are unable to offer academic credits for completing the evening classes.
You can register and pay for your language course online. First please check to determine which level to join and then you can sign up via the registration link below.
A confirmation e-mail is sent when you book on to a course. Please check your junk mail folder if you do not receive this.
There are two sets of fees for the evening classes.
- University of Nottingham Students: £260 (paid in two instalments of £130)
- Staff and Members of the Public: £280 (paid in two instalments of £140) plus as additional £10 exam fee. Please note the exam is optional.
Unfortunately we are unable to offer any more discounts or reductions on these fees.
Note: British Sign Language evening classes have a different fee structure.
If you'd like more information about our language courses, please telephone: +44 (0) 115 74 84176 or email us at:
Terms and Conditions
- Fees are non-refundable and no partial refund can be given for any classes not attended.
- Applicants must be over 18 at the start of the course.
- A minimum of 10 students are required in order for a course to run. Should any course not recruit sufficiently a full refund will be provided.
- Where possible classes are taught by the same tutor for both terms, however the Language Centre reserves the right to replace a tutor if necessary.