Modules for current students
Why study a language alongside my degree course?
Globalise your degree course by choosing a language module for credits. We offer optional languages for students of all disciplines.
What can you study?
Language modules available in 2019
At the Language Centre we focus on providing language modules with the emphasis on communication. The modules are supported by the virtual learning environment Moodle, digital classrooms and a Self Access Centre for independent learning.
The levels range from Stage 1a (complete beginners) to Stage 6 (near native speaker competence). It is possible to improve existing skills or start a new language. Click on the links below to find out more about each language module.
In addition to the language modules above, we also offer modules which focus on the history, linguistics, cutlure, as well as teaching and learning of languages. Click on the links below to find out more.
How you will study?
- We focus on providing language training with the emphasis on communication.
- At the higher stages teaching and learning supports professionals working in a bilingual context, incorporating a number of transferable skills much sought after by potential employers.
- The number and type of assessments you take depends on your level but over two semesters you will be tested on the four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Which stage should you take?
The stage you chose depends on your current level of the chosen language and will be assessed on this by your language tutor.
Who can take a language module?
- Accredited students: as a undergraduate or postgraduate student you'll be eligible to take languages as an optional module as part of your studies (depending on your chosen course of study).
- Supplementary students: if you wish to study a language but do not have enough spare credits, you can pay a fee of £160 and join as a paying student (provided there is still a place available) with an option to do the assessments.
- Students taking a Nottingham Advantage Award: you can opt to take one of our modules as part of the Nottingham Advantage Award, which is a scheme that provides the opportunity for students to enhance their learning and develop skills in extra curricular activities.
- Opportunities for self study are available in the Self-Access-Centre.
- Hallward Library also has Readers series and dvds related to language learning.
- Supplementary resources are available on the appropriate module Moodle page.
If you'd like more information about our language courses, please telephone: +44 (0) 115 74 86500 or email us at: