Computer practical in the School of Geography in 1980.
Geography at Nottingham has a long and distinguished history, although the student Geographical Society actually predates the formal department, having been set up in 1923!
The Geography department was established in 1934, although degrees in geography had first been awarded in 1922 under the auspices of a combined Geology and Geography department of the then University College Nottingham.
K C Edwards was appointed to the first Chair of Geography in The University of Nottingham in 1949 and held the post until his retirement in 1970.
The department became a school in August 1998. The current (2015-2019) Head of School is Professor Giles Foody.
Geography moved into its current accommodation in the Sir Clive Granger building on its construction in 1967 as the Social Sciences building. The building is now shared by Geography with the School of Economics.
The school's physical laboratories have been significantly expanded over recent years. The David Ebdon Computing Laboratory gives geography students access to more than 97 high specification PCs.