Health services


Whilst at University you need to take responsibility for your health. This means getting the right balance between lifestyle, work and study. Both the University and local health services offer a wide range of support services that are available to you during your time here. 


We strongly recommend that you are up to date with all vaccinations before coming to university. Some illnesses that spread quickly amongst large groups of people can be easily prevented by vaccinations given routinely to children and young adults. For UK residents, the vaccinations include: 

  • two doses of the MMR vaccine  
  • School leaving booster course
  • MenACWY
  • HPV vaccine (female only)

Meningitis and scepticaemia

Teenagers and 'fresher' students going to university for the first time are advised to have a vaccination to prevent meningitis and septicaemia, which can be deadly.

The MenACWY vaccine is given by a single injection to the upper arm and protects against four different strains of the meningococcal bacteria that cause meningitis and blood poisoning (septicaemia). The MenACWY vaccine is called Nimenrix. Find more information on the NHS website.

It is recommended that you get the vaccine before you start university. However, if you haven't yet had it, you can still do so - just make an appointment with the health centre to which you are registered.

Sutton Bonington

If you’re moving in to accommodation at Sutton Bonington please note that you won’t be able to register at The University of Nottingham Health Service. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you receive your vaccines, including MenACWY, before coming to University.

These fact sheets provide more information regarding meningitis and septicaemia.



If you are unsure whether you have had any of these vaccinations then you should ask your doctor. All of these vaccines are available at The University of Nottingham Health Service. 

Register with a GP


You should register with a doctor as soon as possible when you arrive at University. 

The University of Nottingham Health Service (UNHS) is conveniently situated on University Park and specialises in looking after students and staff as well as their families. 

You can register with the centre if you live within the catchment area.

If you live outside this area (which includes the majority of Sutton Bonington students) you can visit the NHS Choices site to find your local health centre.

NHS Services


Feeling unwell? If you're not sure where to go for help, find out how to get the right care quickly via NHS Nottingham City.

You can also visit the NHS website to check your symptoms online, and for information and reassurance.

International students

In the UK you need to register with an NHS doctor. It is important to do this on arriving at university, failure to do so can occasionally result in difficulty accessing free healthcare.

For more information on healthcare in the UK, visit our International students pages.



The University of Nottingham

University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5151
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3666