What is the Foundation Year like?
The Foundation Year ensures you have the necessary skills, knowledge and confidence before you start your chosen degree.
There are six modules that make up the Foundation Year:
- Critical Thinking and Reflective Learning
- Important Thinkers Through History
- Language and Culture
- Media, Communication and Society
- Narrative and Creativity
- The Project / Language Centre modules
Find out what each module covers
The programme concentrates on developing skills essential for successful degree-level study. These include:
- critical thinking
- digital ability
- Small groups allow you space to develop in a supportive environment.
- Varied teaching sessions from lectures, seminars, interactive multimedia labs to one-to-one module-based tutorials.
- At least 12 hours of scheduled contact time each week. The Foundation team will always make time to support you outside these contact hours depending on your needs.
- Award winning team - awarded a Lord Dearing Award 2021 for their "high levels of commitment to teaching and learning".
People always tell you that the transition to uni life is hard and I found that was definitely true for me. I worried about it beforehand as I took a gap year and didn't have amazing A level grades so I was a little out of practice when I started.
Read Calvin talk about his tranisition to university life