Department of Classics
   
   
  

Research Excellence Framework 2014

In the REF2014 (Research Excellence Framework), the department was ranked equal 4th among Classics departments for world-leading (4*) research, ranking us equal 2nd among UK Classics departments outside Oxbridge.

The department ranked highly on all three main criteria of assessment:

  • Outputs (i.e. our publications): 38.9% were ranked as ‘world-leading’ – the top performance by any UK Classics department – and a further 33.3% as internationally excellent.
  • Impact outside the academic world: 40% of our external activities were ranked as world-leading and the remaining 60% as internationally excellent.
  • Research Environment: 30% was scored as world-leading and a further 60% as internationally excellent.

What is the REF?

The REF is the system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions (it replaced the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) last conducted in 2008).

The 2014 REF was conducted jointly by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), the Scottish Funding Council (SFC), the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) and the Department for Employment and Learning, Northern Ireland (DEL). 

 

Useful links

Official REF data

 

Department of Classics

University of Nottingham
University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

Contact details