International Chinese Language Teacher Scholarships are offered by The Centre for Language Education and Cooperation (CLEC) under the Chinese Ministry of Education to encourage students, scholars and Chinese language teachers from countries other than China to pursue tertiary level studies from a choice of 150 Chinese universities. Supported subjects include Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chinese Music, Chinese Dance etc. Applications are welcome all year round.
The following range of scholarships are currently being offered:
- Doctor’s Degree in International Chinese Language Education
- Master's Degree in International Chinese Language Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in International Chinese Language Education
- Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Programme (International students currently studying in China are not eligible)
- Scholarship for One-Semester Study Programme*
- Scholarship for Four-Week Study Programme*
- Joint Program Scholarships funded by CLEC and educational departments, universities or Host Institutions
- Scholarships for Online Programmes
*In principle, applicants who have recieved a similar scholarship within 3 years are not eligible for the One-Semester Studay Program or One-Year Program.
Full scholarship winners are exempt from both tuition and on-campus accommodation fees, and are provided with a monthly living allowance (excluding the four-week scholarship) along with comprehensive medical insurance. Scholarships for online programmes winners cover tuition fee only. More information on offer coverage and details can be accessed here.
To apply, please read the eligibility criteria and relevant language requirements carefully to ensure you can meet the requirements. You then need to follow the application procedure and submit the required application documents by the application deadlines.
Applicants are advised to submit their applications as early as possible. To apply for the scholarships through NCI, please submit your application before the deadlines set below:
| Entry Time
| Application Deadline
| July 2024
|15 April 2024
| September 2024
|15 May 2024
| December 2024
|15 September 2024
| March 2025
|31 October 2024
We strongly advise you submit your application as soon as possible. Due to various paper work NCI is requred to complete, our deadlines are slightly earlier than the offical CLEC deadlines. Applications received after the above dates will not be considered.
Please also note that your HSK exam result(s) must be available at least online when you submit your application to CLEC.
We highly recommend candiates to apply to study at our partner Fudan University, which is ranked 34 in QS World University Rankings by TopUniversities and 51 by The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023. Check out their application guides below:
- Fudan University International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Application Guide for Master's in TCSOL in English / in Chinese.
- Fudan University International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Application Guide for Chinese Languge Study one year or one semester in English/ in Chinese.
To find out more:
If you are interested and wish to find out more about these opportunities, please visit CLEC website. If you require any further assistance, please make an appointment to see our scholarship coordinator Ms Lufei Zheng by telephone 0115 82 32111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org