You will complete a one-hour mentoring session per fortnight (plus travel time).
By being a mentor you will:
- Support your young person with their educational, social and personal development
- Volunteer for a leading third-sector organisation and your University
- Gain experience of working with young people in a community setting
- Have the opportunity to support on-campus events and lead campus tours (optional extra)
- Have the opportunity to complete the Inspiring Young People module, as part of the Nottingham Advantage Award (optional extra)
For the 2020/2021 academic year, you will have the option to meet with your mentee either in-person or online. We hope that you will be able to meet with your mentee in-person at least once before commencing online meetings.
For more information, please see our role description and person specification.
It is nice to be able to build a bond with a young person and it has been a pleasure volunteering in such a supportive environment. I have learnt so much as a mentor.
How to apply
Applications for the IntoUniversity Mentoring Scheme are now open. Further details about student volunteerieng roles and to sign up for the training on Wednesday 2nd June 2021, can be found on the IntoUniversity website.
University of Nottingham has been working in partnership with the IntoUniversity charity since 2011.
IntoUniversity supports young people from disadvantaged backgrounds by providing local learning centres in Broxtowe, Hyson Green and St Ann's, where young people are inspired to achieve.
As an IntoUniversity volunteer, you will be an integral part of the IntoUniversity team. You will help to raise aspirations and attainment among local young people and inspire them to go to university, whilst also developing your employability skills.
For someone who is career-focused, like me, I feel like it’s good to have a mentor that does a similar thing to what I want to do in the future and to have advice on how to get there.
If you have any questions about the scheme, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.