Health services

health centre pictures

Whilst at University you need to take responsibility for your health. This means getting the right balance between lifestyle, work and study. Both the University and local health services offer a wide range of support services that are available to you during your time here.


It’s important to register with a GP (sometimes called family doctor)

You should register with a doctor as soon as possible when you arrive at university. 

Cripps Health Centre  is conveniently situated on University Park and specialises in looking after students and staff as well as their families. 

You can register online here.  If you do not live in the catchment area for Cripps (Check here) you can visit the NHS Choices site to find your local health centre.

If you If you live in the Sutton Bonington area you may be able to register at the Orchard Practice in Kegworth.You can register online here


Getting ill during the holidays

If you become unwell or need other medical treatment when you're away from your registered GP (including home students who return home for the holidays), you can contact your nearest GP to ask for treatment.

You can receive emergency treatment for 14 days. After that you will have to register as a temporary resident or permanent patient.Find out how to register as a temporary resident with a GP.

If you have an urgent care need use NHS111 first. This service can be found online, on the NHS App or by calling 111.



We strongly recommend that you are up to date with all vaccinations before coming to university. Some illnesses that spread quickly amongst large groups of people can be easily prevented by vaccinations.

Covid Vaccine

NHS Information about the coronavirus vaccine can be found here and the university's vaccine page can be found here.

All international students will be assessed when they register with a GP regarding coronavirus vaccine status, and you will have the opportunity to discuss any concerns or questions with one of our health service team.

Vaccination is strongly encouraged.

Various options may be advised, they may include:           

  • Being offered another vaccination compatible with the vaccine you may have already received to ensure you are fully covered.  Please bring details of the vaccines you have received already to help identify the most appropriate options.

  • Full vaccination (consisting of 2 vaccines) of a UK approved vaccine.

  • In some cases, if you have had two vaccines in your home country you may be advised to receive a third dose of a UK approved vaccination.  A member of our health care team will be able to advise you if this is a recommendation.


Other Vaccines

  • two doses of the MMR vaccine 

  • School leaving booster course

  • MenACWY

  • HPV vaccine - It is given to both females and males at school, however, for those that miss the vaccination (or international students) there is a catchup programme. The catch up is only available for  females up to the age of 25 and for males born after 1st September 2006. 

Young people and new students going to university for the first time are advised to have a vaccination to prevent meningitis and septicaemia.

The MenACWY vaccine is given by a single injection to the upper arm and protects against four different strains of the meningococcal bacteria that cause meningitis and blood poisoning (septicaemia).

These fact sheets provide more information regarding meningitis and septicaemia.


The NHS App

The NHS App is a simple and secure way to access a range of NHS services on your smartphone or tablet, including the NHS COVID Pass. 

It keeps your data safe and secure. Once you’ve downloaded the App you will need to set up an NHS login and prove who you are. The app then securely connects to information from your GP surgery.

By linking to your GP record it lets you access your medicines, order repeat prescriptions and indicate whether you wish to donate your organs. You can also use it to access the NHS 111 service and it also shows your (COVID) vaccination status, sometimes called the COVID Pass. If you don’t yet have it, you can download it here


The NHS and International students

In the UK you need to register with an NHS doctor. It is important to do this on arriving at university, failure to do so can occasionally result in difficulty accessing free healthcare.


The University of Nottingham

University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5151
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3666