English Initial Teacher Education
Please note: The last date we will accept applications for courses starting in September 2022 is Monday 22 August 2022. Our final interviews sessions will take place the same week. Applicants must be available to attend an interview when invited between Monday 22 August and Friday 26 August 2022.
"The tutors exude passion for teaching and for English, which creates a positive environment for learning in which each student teacher's contribution is valued."
You will need to use your enthusiasm and knowledge for English language and English literature to take a critical and imaginative approach to the teaching of English in today's secondary schools.
Over the course, you will explore a wide variety of teaching methods to empower children through their use of spoken and written language. You will develop your own, critical approach to question the curriculum and the place and purpose of English as a secondary school subject.
What you will cover
The English-specific elements of the course will explore the requirements of the English curriculum and the needs of learners through the consideration of concepts including:
- teaching Shakespeare as if his work was a spectacular treasure instead of an academic entry qualification
- technology enhanced learning in the English classroom
- teaching poetry as a live art form with an exciting history
- helping children to understand that language is a workable material and that knowledge of all its aspects is interesting, purposeful and powerful
Other sessions will be focused on understanding the learner, school cultures and procedures and the personal and professional identities of the English teacher.
You will explore English teaching perspectives on:
- lesson planning and evaluation
- explaining and questioning
- differentiation and assessment for learning
- behaviour and motivation for learning
- historical construction of the subject
The English team
Subject tutors are supported by: