Mathematics Initial Teacher Education
"What I really enjoyed about the PGCE at Nottingham was the informed practice and approaches to the teaching of mathematics."
We believe that maths should be perceived as a subject which is interesting, creative and challenging and one in which everyone can be successful. You will be encouraged to re-think your ideas on maths learning and teaching, and to experience and develop for yourself a wide variety of styles and techniques to use in the classroom.
Our team of maths tutors and school-based mentors are all experienced secondary maths teachers and our shared vision is that after a year of working with us, you will be a confident and creative maths teacher.
We also work closely with our colleagues in the internationally renowned Centre for Research into Mathematics Education (CRME) who teach on the course and contribute to its development.
Throughout the course, as you explore and experience lessons and mathematical activities, you will develop knowledge and expertise in:
- lesson planning and evaluation
- managing learning and pupil behaviour
- monitoring and assessing learning
- understanding the social context of the classroom and maths education
The didactics of mathematics education
Didactics is the method the teacher uses to structure knowledge, and how they choose to take the pupils through a sequence of mathematical ideas. Our programmes enable you to take a didactical approach to lesson planning and will include:
- core reading about the topic being explored
- collaborative development of an understanding of how to structure the knowledge within a topic
- consideration of how textbooks and other resources approach the topic
- exploration of international comparisons of how the topic is taught
- experience of activities that are carefully designed and structured to support pupils' learning
The maths team
Subject tutors are supported by: